8. Blind Eye

**So the guy on the side is the closest thing to how I think Cade looks (not including the crazy eyes) it's not perfect, but it's probably as close as it's going to get. haha You can imagine him however you want though!:)**

8

It’s been three weeks and Mrs. Lanton isn’t bad from maternity leave.  Mr. Tyler is still there and driving my heart and head insane.  It’s gotten a little easier though.  Whenever he talks or asks a question, I just imagine him as Mr. Garner, a really old fat math teacher I have.  It kind of works…if I’m suffering from lack or sleep…or if I had sight impairment.

Braxton and I were still dating.  He hadn’t asked me out again, but we hang out a lot.  He really is the sweetest man alive.  He understands that I’m struggling with something, but doesn’t ask too much about it, and doesn’t force me to change.  He just accepts whatever I give him.  I just couldn’t wait until stupid Mr. Tyler is gone.

It was Friday and everyone in English was just chatting and working on essays.  I took a few peeks at Mr. Tyler and he honestly wasn’t looking so good.  He seemed kind of sick and downtrodden.  I saw him take some Advil a few times too.  ‘Must be coming down with a cold.’ I thought.

Once the bell rang and everyone filed out I hung back for a second.  “Are you alright?” I asked.  I just wanted to be courteous.  He didn’t look good and I was a little concerned. 

He looked up at me with a tired expression.  “Don’t worry I’ll be fine.”

I sighed, “Listen, you’re going to go home this weekend and not take care of yourself or get too tired to try, so here.” I quickly wrote down my cell phone number and set it on his desk. “I know we haven’t talked in weeks and you probably have no interest in me helping, but here’s my cell number if you ever need any help.”

He sighed, “Marlene…”

“Take it.  You might need it.” I quickly turned and walked away.  It was the least I could do.  I knew it was probably just torturing myself, but I’d rather him not kill himself.

When I walked out of the classroom Braxton was standing there with a smiled. He kissed my cheek and we walked hand in hand to my next class.  We weren’t official yet, but everyone thought we were.

“So what did Cade talk to you about?”

“I was just seeing if he was alright.” I replied honestly, “He looks really sick.”

“Does he? Man, poor guy.  Honestly for the past few weeks he’s been weird.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s been consuming himself in work and school, not sleeping much, having nightmares, and barely smiling.”

“Nightmares? About what?”

“Probably his parents, or his childhood.  I don’t know, but whenever I’ve stayed over I’ve heard him thrashing then waking up with a yell.  He’d walk out and get some water and I went to see if he was alright and he was just covered in a cold sweat.”