Chapter Twenty Two- Hidden Objects

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t w e n t y  t w o

{Hidden Objects}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

 On Thursday, I bring a box of donuts and bagels into work, leaving it on the table in the break room. I try being inconspicuous, but it doesn't work. People found out they were from me. And throughout the morning, coworkers pop into my office to thank me. They all are genuinely happy with my gesture, and it made me feel good. I definitely think befriending Anaya helped break me from my hollow shell.

The following Tuesday, Anaya joined Raven and me for coffee. It didn't take long for her to fit in. She told us she was born in India, but her parents came to New York when she was a baby. She answered all the cultural questions we had, and even offered to cook for us sometime, which I cannot wait for. But she had an ultimatum;

"Only if you cook some bomb, authentic Italian food for me," she says.

I laugh. "And Raven is an amazing cook too, she could bring something."

Raven's eyes light with excitement. "I'll bring my favorite dessert, Malva pudding."

We spent the rest of the evening talking about our cultural background and our hobbies and family. After having such a lovely time, we made plans to go out together, which will be fun. I can't help but wonder all the ways we could've conquered the world if she went to college with us.

And of course, Jayden was brought up.

It's been four days since I've seen him. We've been busy with work and have had little free time. But every night before bed, he calls to talk. Each time my phone rings, excitement simmers through my body, and we always end up falling asleep, so when we wake up the next morning, we say good morning and goodbye at the same time. I wouldn't want it any other way.

As I get ready to leave work, an overwhelming urge to text Jayden and ask what he's doing encompasses me. I pull out my phone and ask when he's going to be home, which he replies with a half-hour. So instead of going home, I head toward his place. I know where he hides the spare key, which sounds creepy, but I can surprise him.

I hike my purse excitedly over my shoulder and get moving.

After stopping at a convenience store, I arrive at his apartment with no problem. The lights are off and the smell of new furniture still fills the air. Suddenly, an overwhelming feeling simmers through me, and I suddenly regret this idea entirely. He'll either love this or find it creepy.

Before I chicken out, I force myself upstairs and into his bathroom where I start filling the tub. I grab the bag of candles I bought from the store, and light them until the room glows a dim yellow.

Feeling satisfied with how it looks: I undress, wrap a towel around my body, and scatter my clothes in a pathway from the bottom of the stairs to his room. He's going to be home soon, so I slink into the warm water and wait... Like a total creep.

I hear the door creak open downstairs, and a moment passes before Jaden's voice sounds up the stairs, "Sky? Hello?"

When I hear his voice, I bite my lip, trying to suppress a smile. With every one of his footsteps, my heart beats faster. The thought of seeing him in person makes me giddy and how he might react to this situation. Just as I close my eyes, I hear the door click open.