Nicholas' More Than Beef & Beans Chilli

Country of Origin: Non-Specific

Credit: @NicholasQuill

Ingredients

2 Coloured Bell Peppers (Red and Green), diced

1 Lrg Onion, diced

3-5 Cloves of Garlic, pressed

1 Lrg Sweet Potato, cubed

1 package of mushrooms, sliced

Hot peppers of your choice (diced), or chilli flakes

1 Can Kidney Beans

1 Can Black Beans

1 Can Pinto Beans

1 Can of kernel corn

1 Lrg Can of Tomatoes

1 Can Tomato Paste

1-2lbs of stewing beef, cut into cubes

Olive/Vegetable Oil

Spices

Chilli Powder (the mexican-ish mix with cumin, coriander, etc)

Cumin (can never have too much cumin)

Optional

Chopped Cilantro

Can of dark beer or cup of red wine

Brown sugar

Preparation

These instructions describe how to make this chilli with beef, but you can make it vegetarian by simply leaving out the beef. What's more, you can supplement this Chilli with whatever additional types of veggies or pulses you like.

1. Cut up the stewing beef into smaller cubes, brown it in a frying pan. To make it more flavourful, you can fry it with 1-2 pressed cloves of garlic and some of the chilli powder and cumin.

2. Cut up the vegetables, and In the bottom of a large pot, pour a little of your oil and fry onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, hot peppers, and corn.

3. Once veggies have been well fried and beef has been browned, add beef to the big pot with the fried veggies. Include tasty beef juices.

4. Rinse all beans to get rid of bean goop.

5. Turn down the heat on the big pot to medium-low, and add sweet potatoes, all beans, tomatoes, and tomato paste to the pot. Add a decent amount of chilli powder and cumin (1-2 tablespoons). If you're adding cilantro, beer, or red wine, add them now.

6. Cook mix on low heat (it should be bubbling, but not boiling) for 1-2 hours.

The most important part in getting this chilli right is to taste it from time to time and add spices as required. If the taste isn't strong enough, add more chilli powder and/or cumin, as well as a little salt. If it is tasting too acidic or tomato-ey, add some brown sugar.

Also, the sweet potatoes tend to break down if you cook the chilli for long enough. If you want your sweet potatoes to hang around and not break down, add them an hour before you intend to stop cooking it.

Serve with crusty bread or corn bread. If you're feeling fancy, top with shredded cheese and a dollop of greek yogurt.