Chapter 4: Casting Shade

Tolly was true to his word. He sent a fresh-faced Sullied boy for Azure the next morning. Not a trusting soul, I insisted that I accompany them to the inn. Tolly had put up a good fight, but it ended in his defeat. I was never one to barter away what little power I could manage to seize, and, by the looks of it, I was more important to him than he was to me.

"Riverly!" Mistress yelled upon setting her eyes on me. In a second, her boney arms pulled me into a loving embrace. I reciprocated the gesture, happy to see her alive and well.

Tolly scoffed at our reunion.

Catching sight of him lingering, back braced against the door, Mistress pointed a finger in his direction, and, with features set and stern, she grimaced. "You!" she growled, ready to leap forward.

"Mistress," I called, hoping to keep her from doing something rash.

Tolly, however, appeared utterly relaxed as he studied her from his position at the door. Lazily, he shifted his shoulders and watched her through the morning light slanting through the windows. There was not a crease in his forehead or a slope in the line of his lips.

"Don't you ever come near my girls again!" she spat, eyes fiercely glimmering in the sunbeams.

Tolly rolled his head back slightly, but his expression remained bored. He had seen worse. We all knew it. Mistress could have lunged at him with a scimitar, and he'd easily dodge her. Whatever had landed him at the Inn in the first place was much worse than a slight woman in her middle years.

"Coming, Riverly?" he beckoned, like he was calling his favorite pet.

I scowled. I had been the object of enough condescension as a poor girl of the Silts. I knew a lord's call like some knew the shrill sounds of wildcats lurking beyond the forest fire. Both inspired about the same levels of trepidation in me.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest, and I frowned.

A sly grin slit his lips. "We have a deal." Barely contained malice danced in his eyes.

My brows pulled together as I tried to remember back to what deal he was referring. The only deal we had made was the night before: I promised to sheathe my blade, and, in exchange, he would release Azure. That deal was done and over.

"We have no deal."

"Are you certain?" he asked, eyes trailing to the stairs that he had seen Azure take when she dragged herself, sleepy-eyed, to our room.

My stare hardened. "You said you were no marauder."

"This is official business," he responded cooly.

"What official business could the Lieutenant of the Imperial Guard possibly have with a young girl?" Mistress protested.

I straightened at the bladed way Mistress's said 'Lieutenant of the Imperial Guard.' Merth had used the title in the backrooms of the tavern. At the time, I had brushed it aside. But, right then, seeing the daggers that Mistress stared into Tolly, it dawned on me that he was the Lieutenant who had been sent from the warfront for aid.

Oh, Gods.

His pale blue eyes pinned me. "Let's say I am a collector of useful instruments for my master."

Mistress was about to block me, but I ducked under her arms and met Tolly at the door. There would be no more tumult due to me. If my presence meant danger for Mistress or Azure, it wasn't worth it.

I would survive.

I hoped.

I prayed.

Before I crossed the Inn's threshold, I turned and, with a mournful stare, I mouthed, "Thank you," to Mistress. When I found my voice, I made my final request, "Please, take care of her."