A Second hand Girl

It was February 2010. It was the time for winters to descend, leaving a trail of very favorable weather behind. Flowers were blossoming and new leaves were sprouting in the gardens. Chirping of birds, buzzing of bees, and smell of flower fragrances filled the air. Besides all these, there was one more thing that the air conceded and that was ‘Love’. It was the month when we all know was the time when we had…

“Valentine’s Day, in a week from now is Valentine’s Day and I don’t believe I’m still single.” I announced it to my roommates, throwing my bag aside as soon as I arrived from the office.

“Whoa! Relax dude!” Pankaj reacted seeing my overreaction. “Why are you so frustrated?”

“What else do you expect from a guy who is 24 and is still single?”

“Well, since I know you, you’ve always been single on this day.” Gaurav coughed out. “There’s nothing new in it?”

“But how long will I be? In the country where male to female ratio stands as 100:94, I can’t even find a single girl for myself! This is ridiculous. Even the liftman of our building has a girlfriend!”

“So is that what your problem? You’re upset because our liftman also has a girlfriend?” Pankaj joked.

I gallingly gaped at Pankaj’s silly question.

“Okay relax brother.” Indu intervened. “You’ve just arrived from the office. Just go to your room and slip in to something comfortable then we’ll talk about it.”

“Be right back.” I snapped and went into my room, whipping the door of my room behind.

“What has happened to him all of a sudden? I’ve never seen him so frustrated.” Pankaj was vexed.

“Yeah, since I know him, he was never so interested in this day.” Gaurav replied.

“Wait a minute, I can smell fishy in it.” Indu made a guess. “Amit never complained of being single before, then why out of blue is he so desperate this time?”

“Hmm… May be someone must have pin pointed him for being single.” Gaurav presumed.

“If somebody’s really messing with his head then I’m going to break that guy’s head.” Pankaj fumed.

“Chill, before we jump onto any conclusions, let’s check his bag first.” Indu suggested and grabbed my bag from the couch, where she found some passes of a party invitation.

“What is it?” Gaurav asked Indu.

“It’s a party invitation at the ‘Reverberations Bar and Disco’, on 14 February night.” I said as I came out of my room, tying the cords of my pajamas.

“Why are these in your bag?” Pankaj asked.

 “These passes were distributed in my office today.” I replied.

“So, are you going there?” asked Indu.

“You, Pankaj or perhaps Gaurav can go, but I cannot.”

“Why? Is it mentioned that you are not allowed?” Pankaj giggled.

“No, but it’s mentioned in bold that only couples are allowed.” I showed that invitation to him.

“Eh! Now I get why you were so upset. So this was the reason. You can’t go there as you are single.” Gaurav cleared it out.

“Yeah, most of my colleagues will be going and I’ll miss it. Shucks!” I replied, sadly.

“No problems brother, we’ll both stay in our apartment and celebrate our single hood with beers.” Gaurav suggested.

“No way, how long are we going to celebrate this way? I want to go there and have fun like other couples.” I was adamant.