Chapter 2

I awoke to the muffled sounds of voices, both masculine, deep voices and feminine as well. The sounds almost vibrated and echoed through the duct work, laughing and taunting. I didn’t know who it was, but I wanted them to stop — they were interrupting my perfect sleep. I rolled over to view the clock, 6:45 a.m. — ugh, I pulled a pillow over my head to stop the noise. The pillow was just a temporary fix. They were laughing so loud. This is ridiculous! I shot straight up in bed, my faced affixed with the most disgusted guise I could muster, and I started complaining out loud to myself.

“Really … freakin’ not even 7:00 a.m. and they are being obnoxious and loud downstairs. Have they no respect for the tired? Who the heck is here anyway?”

I huffily threw my legs over the edge of the mattress and stomped my feet a little, on purpose, while getting out of bed. Then I tossed my pillows and blankets back into place. It probably looked quite childish, but my worst pet peeve is to be woken up early for no apparent reason. I quite enjoy sleeping, it’s almost a hobby.

I reached for the door knob and flung the door open to go splash some water on my face, then I planned to stomp my unhappy self, down the stairs and demand a little peace and quiet, when the sweet smell of pancakes changed my mood in an instant. Ooh, that smells good. Pancakes AND sausage, I wonder what the special occasion is?

I hurried across the hall into my giant sized bathroom, and reached for the ornate faucet handle. The water was ice cold at first, seemingly taking forever to warm up. I listened harder for the voices as they carried up even louder, Uncle Billy? Yes, I think that sounds like Uncle Billy and Aunt Janet.

I rushed washing my face and brushing my teeth, and then I smoothed back my hair, devoid of the anger that had filled me when I was so rudely awakened. I hadn’t seen Uncle Billy and Aunt Janet in over a year, and they were my favorites, so I’d always enjoyed visiting with them.

I bounded down the stairs quick and light, still in my pajamas.

“Uncle Billy, Aunt Janet, it’s so good to see you,” I proclaimed, leaning in for a double hug, while they were still seated at the kitchen table.

“Well, look at you, you’ve grown six inches since we saw you last,” Billy exaggerated.

“Oh, I have not! I’ve probably only grown a half of an inch, if any at all. You know height is the one thing I don’t excel at,” I corrected him.

“Short and sweet — that’s what a true gentleman wants in a lady.” Aunt Janet smiled, her rounded cheeks glowing.

She is short and sweet, and her eyes are an even lighter shade of blue than Mom’s, and they sparkle and dance when she laughs. Janet is a little heavier — quite voluptuous in actuality. She has dark brown, naturally wavy hair, with blonde highlights. She prides herself on looking good, so she never goes anywhere without “putting on the dog” as she calls it. That’s what a true southern girl calls it when they get themselves all fixed up pretty. Her skin is a flawless golden color, like honey. And much like Caroline, she appears to be about fifteen or twenty years younger than she is.

Uncle Billy is the polar opposite of my father, with the exception of their eyes. They both have the same eye color, dark brown, near-black, eyes set wide with long lashes, but Billy’s eyes have a slight turn, because he’s always smiling. Steve, on the other hand, almost never smiles, his eyes are held rigid. It’s hard to believe they are even brothers. Billy’s face is more rounded, and Steve has a classic square jaw and military style buzz cut hairdo, while Billy’s hair is a little longer with a slight wave to it. They have almost nothing in common, but when you go a year in between visits from family, it’s pretty easy to find something to talk about.