24- I Think You Got Taller

“Okay, so remind me again why we have to get a cake when it’s just going to be like, six people,” Lake says with a small laugh as we’re walking out of the small bakery with a small vanilla cake with lemon frosting.

“Because,” I say with a small laugh. “There is no wrong time for a cake. And Leda thinks that this is some huge celebration or something.”

“What are we celebrating though?”

I shrug. “I think we’re supposed to be celebrating the fact that me and you are together.”

“So basically it’s a big ‘I told you so’ party?” He wonders as we get into his car and he starts to drive back to my house. It’s only noon and I told Leda to get to my house at one so we still have an hour. It’s only going to be Leda, Dana, Nolan, Jeff (another one of Lake’s friends that I’ve met a few times) and then me and Lake. Since Leda wanted to have a celebration of me and Lake finally becoming a couple, we decided to have this pool party today since the weather is really nice and school is about to get really stressful with exams and pre-graduation issues to be handled.

“Yeah, pretty much,” I sigh. “But it’ll be fun, I promise.”

“Sure,” He laughs. “Oh, and before everyone gets here, I need to talk to you about something. Not while we’re driving, but when we get to your house.”

“Okay then, Mr. Mysterious,” I tease him as we continue to drive down the street. “Is it bad news or something?”

“No, it’s not bad,” He shakes his head. “But it’s kind of important, so I don’t want to be in the car and driving when I tell you. I should wait until after the party, actually.”

“No, you can’t wait until after the party. You’re already making me wonder so you have to tell me as soon as we get to my house,” I tell him. “Or it will be driving me crazy all day.”

“Okay, Ari, I’ll tell you right when we get to your house,” He assures me with a small laugh. “But it’s nothing to freak out over or anything.”

“Good, because I don’t want whatever it is to freak me out,” I tell him as we pull into my driveway and I carry the cake as we walk towards the front door. We go up the steps but I stop him on the front porch and sit the cake down on the banister before wrapping my arms around Lake’s waist.

“So it’ll be a while until we’ll be able to kiss again,” I inform him, referring to the fact that we won’t be able to make out or anything when our friends are here and that makes me sad. It’s not like I’m sex-crazed or anything though, but it is really nice to make out with him. “We should probably do that now.”

Lake grins, placing one of his hands on my waist and the other one in my hair, pulling my face closer to his. “Well, I mean, if you insist, then I guess that’s what we should do.”

“I do insist,” I mumble just before his lips connect with mine and we start kissing. Because there’s nobody here yet, we take our time and I let out a soft gasp when Lake slips his tongue into my mouth and deepens the kiss. We’ve only had sex once (well… twice, but in one night) and that was on Thursday night and now it’s Saturday so it hasn’t been very long and I’m very aware that the scratches on his back haven’t fully healed but they aren’t that noticeable and if our friends do notice them, it’s really not that big of a deal, I don’t think. The hickey bruises that I still have are easily hidden by my bikini so I don’t even have to worry about them seeing those though, so that’s good.

I press my hands to his chest as our bodies are pressed against each other slightly as he continues to deepen the kiss with his knee-weakening kissing abilities.