Isn't Baby Coming?

Dr Momoh tapped her fingers on her desk as she contemplated what to do. Her mind went through a couple of scenarios as she thought. Her own mental debate was taking its toll.

"Should we keep on waiting?" She rested her back on her chair as she spoke to herself. "Thirty-seven hours have passed now."

Lola had still not gone into labour since her waters broke. The doctor wondered whether inducing labour would elongate Lola's pains. She considered Lola's previous distress. Her curiosity spiked at this case. She got up. She walked out of her office to her colleague's office to get a second opinion. On her way back, she saw Lola's husband, Phil.

Dr Momoh didn't want to intervene in the process. To reduce the chances of an infection to Lola or her baby, she opened her mind to the chances of inducing Lola. Lola was just entering her thirty-third week, so her baby would still not be full term.

Phil and Grace had taken turns to make sure Lola was never alone. Now they were both at the clinic.

"I was expecting to be in more pains since my water's broke," said Lola. "Somehow, the baby has just been calm."

"I hope that's a good thing," said Grace, "and that you don't get those painful kicks any more."

"I just want the safest option for both of you," said Phil. "The doctor says you may have to be induced if we wait another five hours and nothing happens,"

"She mentioned there was a possibility that could happen," said Lola ambivalently.

Another hour passed, and the deadline Dr Momoh had made approached uneventfully. It seemed unavoidable. The doctor's mind was made up. Things however took an interesting turn in the next hour. Lola's contractions began.

Phil went into the delivery room with Lola. Grace paced about in the waiting area. She sat. She couldn't stay still. Her shoulders rose and fell as she took deep breaths. She muttered words of prayer regarding her sister-in-law. She felt a chill and anticipation that she couldn't comprehend.

*******

Lola looked and saw the curious eyes of her baby.

"Almost there Lola, breathe and push, puuush" a midwife encouraged.

With one last push, the baby was out. There was not a single noise from the baby. No crying, no yelling, just an inquisitive expression on his face.

"Doctor, is this baby really two months early?" The midwife remarked as she observed the baby with uncertain eyes.

Dr Momoh examined the child all over. "Hmm, he looks full term and everything looks normal," she whispered to herself. She remembered the image from the ultrasound scan. She remembered the disappeared twin. She lifted the upper lip of the baby, with caution. Her fingers trembled. She wasn't sure why she was being cautious. The baby's lips gave way. It seemed the baby gave her a grin. Dr Momoh was taken aback by the glaringly sharp canines. She looked further.

"Molars?" She remarked.