Blue Box

"Now no time to waste Lola, you must eat. I don't want you scaring me like that, passing out on me." Grace removed the Styrofoam food pack from the blue plastic bag, and sat beside Lola. She wiped the plastic spoon with a serviette and opened the pack. She adjusted Lola's clothes as she placed a napkin on her.

"I'm feeding you," said Grace.

"Sis, I can do this." Lola took the pack from Grace's hands. "I am not disabled, only pregnant," Lola said with a little smile.

Minutes later, there was a knock, and a bearded old man walked into the room.

"Hello, I am the hospital chaplain. I was told someone wanted to see me."

He introduced himself and shook Lola's hands as he greeted her. He placed the blue box he was holding on the stool by her bed.

There was an audible kick from Lola's tummy. She did her best to stay relaxed. She confided in the chaplain and told him all that had happened at the clinic. As she spoke with the chaplain, the tone of her voice gradually changed. It became obvious she was in some distress. Though she didn't let her hands stray towards her tummy, her face told of her pain.

"Do have a rest, don't worry. I'll keep you in my prayers." The chaplain, a little disturbed by her story and obvious discomfort, encouraged her. He then stood up and walked out of the room.

Minutes later, Dr Momoh walked into the room. "You've had something to eat, how are you feeling now?"

As Lola nodded and turned towards the doctor, the corner of her eye caught the blue box on the stool.

"Oh! Grace, wasn't it the chaplain who brought this box?"

"I'm not sure... I think so."

"Let me see." Lola stretched and picked up the box. Just then, she felt an intense kick in her tummy and had to drop it.

"Ooow," she sounded. She placed her hands on her tummy as she looked at the doctor.

"Baby kicks do happen as you already know," said Doctor Momoh.

"Today's kicks are so painful," said Lola as she breathed heavily. "What is going on with the baby? Can the baby... kick its way out?"

"Hmm, no no no. Your baby won't rupture it's amniotic sac. You have around seven more weeks before you're due."

Lola sighed. The kicks stopped. She felt some relief as the doctor spoke. Minutes later she decided to check the blue box one more time. She picked it up and looked to see if it was sealed. She jerked. The box fell on the floor. The kicking had started again. When she tried to pick up the box, the kicking intensified. In agony, she left it and placed her hands on her tummy.

Dr Momoh quickly picked it up. She looked a little surprised at Lola's show of pain.

There was a knock on the door.

"Hello," the chaplain said as he peeped.

"Did I leave... a blue bible case?"