Chapter Ninety-Six

THE MOMENT Lenore Sable turned off the television, she sat motionless — on the outside. Internally, her mind was churning like a quiet volcano preparing for an unexpected, devastating, and deadly eruption. Nothing enraged Lenore more than betrayal. Ana betrayed her, and Ana was dealt with; Arnold Jenkins betrayed her, and he was dealt with; Jeb Larkin was ready to betray her, and he was dealt with as well. However, Lenore's feelings in this situation were confusing. She again felt betrayed, but she also knew she'd placed no trust or confidence in the person by whom she felt betrayed.

And yet, the only feelings she could project toward Dr. Mitchell Bradley — whom she'd just heard on television pleading with voters to all demand a paper ballot because the new voting machines may be fraudulent — were betrayal and rage.

Mitchell Bradley needed to be dealt with.

Mitch's words — the final words he said on television before he ended his segment — kept repeating in her head, and every time she recollected the sound of his voice saying her name, she could feel her teeth grit tighter and tighter.

"A woman named Lenore Sable is trying to rig the Congressional election," Mitch clearly stated on television.

Lenore's heartrate was quick, heavy, and enraged.

She picked up her cell phone and dialed the only number she felt pertinent at the moment.

"Hello?" the voice on the other end said with a clear sense of discomfort and a slight hint of fear.

"Mr. Doyle," Lenore said, suppressing the emotion in her tone-of-voice, "I suppose we need to have a talk about your friend."

"I don't know why he did that!" Ray said defensively. "I had nothing to do with it; when I talked to him earlier today, everything seemed fine!"

"Well, Mr. Doyle," she said with frustrated arrogance, "things are most certainly not fine."

Ray heard these words emanate from his cell phone and he closed his eyes, tightly, searching for a solid and sane grip on the moment — but finding none.

"Where is he right now?" Lenore asked. There was a chill in her voice, and Ray was smart enough to read between the lines.

"I have no idea," Ray said. I haven't talked to him."

"You expect me to believe your best friend just went off on his own and decided to sabotage your election without saying anything to you about it, even though you spoke with him earlier today? That's your story?" Lenore was clearly out of patience and her rage was beginning to take the reins of her vocal tone.

"I swear, I haven't talked to him since earlier today," Ray said in a voice which was almost pleading with Lenore.

However, this was a lie, and he hoped Lenore wasn't aware of this lie. The truth was, Mitch called Ray and told exactly what he was going to do, moments before he did it, including what he would be doing afterward.

* * * * * * *

"Ray, this is Mitch," he said in a hurried voice, speaking loudly into his cell phone to over-speak the sound of the speeding car into which he was strapped in the passenger's seat.

"What's up?" Ray asked. "What time will you guys be at the party? I have special lanyards for you guys to hang out backstage."

"We're not coming," Mitch said in a continued frantic voice.

"Mitch," Ray said, picking up on the odd and obvious panic in Mitch's voice, "what the hell is going on?"

"It's all a scam!" Mitch said. "Ana's dead and I'm taking that bitch down!"

"What bitch?" Ray asked, although he had a pretty solid idea which bitch he meant — Ray learned long ago never to underestimate Mitch.

"We'll talk later," he said. "Just turn on your TV!"

"Turn on my TV?" Ray said, not expecting that particular detail. "Why?"

"Just do it. We'll talk later." Mitch's voice grew a bit quieter as the car sounds grew quieter as well.

"Where are you?" Ray said, correctly assuming whatever car he was in was now parked.

"We'll talk later," Mitch said with an intensity Ray had never heard in his voice before. "After we're done here, we're driving straight to Jefferson City to see the Lieutenant Governor." Mitch paused. "From what I can tell, he's not in her pocket."

"Mitch! What the hell is—"

"Ray, it's a two-hour drive to Jeff City," Mitch said, "so I'll call you from the road. Just try to stay out of sight for a few hours."

And then, without another word, Mitch hung-up.

* * * * * * *

"Lenore," Ray said, trying (but failing) to sound calm, "if I hear from him, I'll let you know." He paused. "But believe me, I have no idea why he did what he did!"

"People are going to be dealt with," she said in a voice of pure evil.

"I just—" Ray said, having no idea how to finish his sentence.

"I'll deal with you later," she said.

Click.