Duel Mates Part 1

TOPHER:

“Oh, my god, Tristan, are you okay, man?” Jack asked, having forgotten all about their earlier fight in the light of his best friend finding out his mate was only half his. Tristan shook his head, looking ready to snap.

“I'm so sor-”

“No.” Tristan said, interrupting my apology. “No, this one's all on me, and I'm sorry I called you that. Evil Zeke was right, I was out of line.”

“You weren't wrong, before Jack I was kinda slutty.” I shrugged awkwardly, looking at my unconscious friend. I had only ever seen one vampires primal state and it was the one time that we had visited the court, they stayed in that mind set, anything remotely human was long gone to them. I had never been so scared in my life as when my parents presented me to the Vampire King, he glared down at me from his throne, his nails so long they curled viciously, blood and flesh caked beneath them. Briars and poison berries were tangled in his hair and a wreathe of daggers rest a top his head.

It was a little much for a five year old to take in.

“What do I do now?” Tristan whispered, looking at the love of his life, stroking the hair away from his face. “I love him with every piece of my soul. How can I live knowing that his heart doesn't just belong to me?”

“Hmm-mm....” Zeke hummed, stirring slightly, his brow twisting as he came to. “Tris...tan?”

“I'm here babe, I'm so sorry I upset you, I apologized to Chris already, can you ever forgive me?” he begged.

“What happened?” he was avoiding the question, I could see it in his eyes.

“You went all Darth Vader evil on us, it was creepy and scary and you spilled the beans about the whole duel mate thing. Oh, and you almost ate Tristan.” I told him, picking at my nails disinterestedly. It was all a front, I was scared shitless, but there was no way in hell I was gonna let it show. This is always what I did when I was scared or mad or hating myself, I smiled and brushed things off like I didn't have a care in the world. Jack was the first boy I had ever cried over, but now I felt like crying, seeing Zeke, Blair and Tristan in so much pain...it just wasn't fair to any of them.

“Oh, sweet baby monkeys, please tell me you're kidding!” he moaned, burying his face in his hands, going from dead white to fire engine red.

“Sorry, but no, all true.” Jack said, very un-apologetically, then again, Primitive Zeke already said he wasn't gonna eat Jack or me, so he didn't feel so threatened, just sorry for his friends plight. “What are you gonna do about it all? I mean are you gonna chose between them? Even if you don't one will always feel left out or like you like the other one more, so pretty much, either way at least one of you is gonna stay miserable.” he said.

“Jack!” I cried, smacking his arm.

“What?! It's not like it's not true! My best friend and Beta could be seriously hurt over this kid! I want him to fully understand that he's ruining Tristan's life! I can't truly intervene due to the mate principal, but that doesn't mean that I have to sit back and let him think that everything will all be hunky dory no matter what goes down!” I wrapped my arms around Jacks middle, kissing his lips gently to try and calm him down, which to an extent it worked and his shoulders lost some of their tension and he didn't look ready to wipe the floor with Zeke's frail body...anymore.

“I'm sorry.” Zeke said miserably. “I guess there's a reason my last name is Misery.”

“Jack, stop, just...stop, please, it hurts my heart when he's sad like this.” Tristan said, wrapping his arms around Zeke.