Chapter 16

AN: I had to choose between five gifs. I settled with this one.

*Ashton's POV*

After I had left Luke and Calum went to the restrooms to escape to the vents there. I couldn't do that right away, because there was a little boy, doing his business. We made brief eye contact, which weirded the kid out, and I went into the stall that was right under the vent opening.

I took a seat on the toilet, slipping my backpack from my shoulders to rest it on my lap. I peeked through the little opening between the door and the wall, waiting for the kid to finish up. I heard the door open and my eyes darted towards there, but nobody came in. I just shrugged and leaned away from the stall door.

I opened up my backpack, so I could double check one last time that I had all the things I needed. I heard the sound of water running and I peeked through the opening again and saw that the kid was washing his hands now. Once he finished he flung his hands around to get the excess water off, wiped his hands against his shirt, and then walked out.

I rested my backpack on the ground and left the stall to search around the restroom for something that would keep the door in place, so nobody could walk in. I saw a doorstopper that was chilling by the wall, so I went over to it and wedged that under the door, kicking it a few times to make sure it stayed put.

I returned to the stall and began slipping off my shoes. I started pulling off my Captain America shirt and began tugging my jeans off of my legs, so now I was only in my shorts. I rummaged through my backpack, pulling out my black outfit and began slipping that on. I made sure I was comfortable in it before slipping my shoes back on.

I got out my gloves and put those on, took the screwdriver out of my backpack, and climbed onto the toilet so I could hoist myself onto the panel that was closest to the grate. I sat on the panel and made sure I was balanced so I wouldn't fall. Then I began removing the screws from the grate, and I was quite glad when the screws were only used by a Philip's head. That was the screwdriver that Leonard gave me.

Once all of the bolts were out I stuffed them into my pocket and pushed the grate up, so it'd be rested in the vent. I hopped off the panel, dropped the screwdriver into my backpack, and zipped it up, but not all the way, and slipped it onto my shoulders. Then I began climbing up into the vent. Once I was inside the vent I placed the grate over the entrance, not screwing it shut.

As soon as I had put the grate back in its place I heard the restroom door swing open and I froze. I was a bit relieved that I had already finished getting into the vents, but now I couldn't move, because whoever was in the restroom could hear me.

I peered through the openings of the grate, wondering how the person had gotten into the restroom.

Then I realized that the door swung outwards, meaning if you were to enter the restroom you'd have to pull the door. Of course, the doorstopper wasn't going to work.

My eyes widened a bit when I saw Luke, looking around the restroom.

What in the world is he doing here?

What a dumb question to ask, Ashton. What other reason does he need to be here, other than doing his business?

I'm not going to stick around and watch. But I can't exactly move, or else I might make some noise. It didn't help that the restroom was super quiet.

I turned my face away, so I wasn't looking down into the restroom. I just had to wait until Luke left, and then I'll be able to move through the vents. Once I heard the door open again and close I peered back down into the restroom and found that it was empty.

A grin formed on my face.

Time to get moving.

------

I'm used to this kind of stuff, chilling in the vents for a long period of time. I usually pass the time by playing random apps on my pretty much useless phone.

I fixed up the metal stick so it stuck to the sides of the vent. I tugged at it, making sure it would stay in place. Then I tied the rope around the pole.

It was already nearing eleven, and I was directly above the dairy aisle. The reason why I hadn't emerged from my hiding place was because, there's this fucking security guard walking around the area that I need to get down to.

Last time I stole from here there wasn't any security, and there was no news of this place being robbed. It was 'rumored,' but I know as hell that it was more than just a rumor.

God damn it, if he doesn't leave soon, I'll miss my appointment with Luke.

And I refuse to have a night without going into that 7-Eleven store.

I wanted to scream at the guy and ask what as so special about the dairy aisle that makes him only guard that specific place. But I know better than that, to blow my cover.

I needed a decoy, something to distract the guard and send him as far away from this place as possible. I don't have shit in my backpack that'll be of any use to send that guy off.

Wait, I have the bolts. I can toss those all over the place and throw the guy off.

I shoved my hand inside my backpack and tried to feel around for my ski mask. It was more difficult to find it, since I'm wearing gloves. Once I felt it I pulled that out and slipped my ski mask over my head.

This grate I was above was weird. It had no bolts screwed into it. To remove it I had to hook my fingers through the bars and pull it off of its place. So that's what I did. Silently.

I poked my head out so I surveyed the area. It appears that there was only one guy watching an entire Walmart. So if there's only one guy, then why the hell is he not walking around the place? What an idiot.

I reached into my pocket, pulling out one bolt. I looked for a place to throw it. I had to throw it hard, so it'd go far. Then I pulled my arm back and threw it.

I heard a clattering sound and my eyes darted right at the security guy. He turned to the direction of the sound and began walking over there to inspect that place.

Great. Now I probably had approximately a few seconds to get the damn milk and return to the vent without the dude noticing me. I tossed the rope down the vent and it hung there. I checked that my backpack was zipped up all the way. Once it was on my shoulders I grabbed a hold of the rope and began sliding down.

Once my feet touched the ground I glanced around me to make sure that I wasn't spotted yet. My eyes landed on a gallon of milk during the process and I made my way over to it. I opened the refrigerator door and pulled it out. I grinned at the item.

One of the main ingredients for chocolate milk is now in my possession.

I took my backpack off and opened it so I could place the milk inside. Once I finished I stood up and began walking back to the rope.

I froze when I heard foosteps, so I pulled out another screw and threw it far. The footsteps stopped before they happened again, but fading this time.

I don't understand how one guy can't see a fucking rope dangling from the ceiling. He must be blind or something.

I climbed back up the rope, seeing the security guy walking off. I smirked, because he's such an idiot. I got closer to the vents and began pulling myself up.

Until a light shined up at me and I heard a gunshot.