Chapter 11. Spicy.

After Arthur had left me alone on the outskirts of camp, I had no clue what to do.

I heard several grunts and a bit of cursing. Following the sounds, I found Arthur hitting at something.

"Arthur what the-... Dog!" I jumped up and went towards the fluffy animal. Arthur groaned.

The dog was all over me, licking my ears and arms.

"What was that gunshot though?" I ask, petting the dog behind the ears.

Arthur didn't answer but instead swatted a stick near the dogs head, making him turn tail and run. Instead of hitting the dog he hit me in the chin with the stick.

"Ouch! Goddammit, Arthur!" I sat back on my rear and rubbed my chin.

"Oh, uh didn't mean to hit you. That dog was growling at me." Arthur said in self defense.

"Fuckin'.... hillbilly." I sat up.

Arthur swatted my ass with the stick.

"What the shhhhit!" I jumped back.

Before he could retort, we heard another gunshot and this time some young voices yelling "I got the deer! He's huge!"

I glared at Arthur.

"They was just huntin'. C'mon lets go.' Arthur turned back.

I grumbled a bit and walked back to camp with him. I flopped down on my cloth bed and heard Karen moving around to take her shift. I fell asleep immediately.

I woke up to the smell of delicious stew. I got up and put my hat on, walking to where the smell was.

I found Pearson mumbling over the spices.

"Hey, what's goin' on?" I yawn.

"I need a spice that has a kick to it." He mumbled.

I look at the spices and then pick up one that has peppers in it.

"This one has some kick to it." I say.

"Pour it in the stew, not too much though. Or we'll burn our tongues off." Pearson directed.

I shrug and take the spice. I taste a little. Immediately, heat spread all over my tongue.

I tip a tiny tiny bit in the stew. A bit too much. My hand had hit the stupid ass bar that hangs over it to keep the spoons dry and not on the ground.

"Oh... Okay." I flinch at the thought of eating as much hot spice as I just poured in there.

"Um, maybe not eat that." I whisper to myself.
I turn my back to set the spice container down and I turn around to see Jack putting the stew into a pan.

I held my tongue. Maybe they won't notice?
I saw Abigail get some too.

"Hi, Robin." She smiles.

"Hey." I give a forced smile.

She sits down at the table by Jack and I watch them eat it. They ate a couple bites like normal so I could finally start to breath easily again. Until Jack coughed a bit.

I see Abigail pat him softly on the back and ask what's wrong. He points at the stew.

I cringe and slowly turn away.

It's waaay too spicy.

Sitting down, I used a knife to carve in a small piece of wood.

I see a shadow loom over me.

"I... Hi Dutch." I look up.

"Pearson said you poured something in the stew." Dutch raised an eyebrow. I quickly stood up to explain it was spice. He probably thinks its poison.

"Jack is having a coughing fit." Dutch took another step closer to me.

"The-the spice must've floated on top and Jack just grabbed a spoonful." I take a step back.

"Are you sure that's all it was? Remember how we found you. For all we know you could've been an O'Driscoll." Dutch snorts.

"The helllll is wrong with you? I ain't an O'Driscoll!" I yell.

"Welcome to my world." Kieran walks past me.

"Dutch, I swear it's just spicy and poor Jack's throat couldn't handle it." I say. I hear Jack coughing a bit and asking for water, while Abigail is worrying about him.

"Show me the container." Dutch said.
I nodded and rushed to where I last placed it. But it was gone! All that was there was a piece of paper. I picked it up. It was a label saying 'Hot Spice'.

"The-the bottle is-is gone! But here's the label!" I hand Dutch the paper.

"You could've switched the labels." Dutch studies it then throws it to the ground.

I back up against a tree and then I hear somebody yelling for Dutch to calm down.
I recognize the voice.

"Arthur, you know I wouldn't poison the stew! Right?" I ask, cowering behind him.

"Yes I know. Dutch it really is just spice, I tasted some of it." Arthur said.

"So where's the bottle, Arthur?" Dutch crossed his arms.

"Hell if I know! This dumbass had it last." Arthur points to me with his thumb. Being the salty girl I am, I drew back his suspenders and let them go.

Whap!

"You stupid..." Arthur turned around but this time I was behind Dutch.

Dutch grabbed me by the arm and pulled me aside, outside of camp. He made me sit down and he rubbed the bridge of his nose with his thumb and pointer finger.

"Robin, you're near 29 and you can't even behave like a 28 year old." Dutch grumbled.

"Arthur can't behave like a...." I trailed off.

"37." Dutch finished.

"A 37 year old!" I conclude.

"Since you didn't spike the stew why is the bottle gone and not the label?" Dutch asks.

"Micah." I hiss, taking a wild guess.

"Don't start. Arthur already fights against Micah, I don't need you tailing behind him as well." Dutch points a finger at where I'm sitting.

"Well, Micah's a jerk." I point out.

"So is Arthur." Dutch facepalms.

"At least he's better lookin'." I hiss.

"We are not arguing about this." Dutch walks towards camp.

I mimick him.

"We are nOt ArGuinG aBout ThiS!" I prance around like Dutch.

"What?"

I freeze and turn around to see Charles.

"Oh it's just you." I shrug and sit down.

Charles walks beside me and sits down as well.

"You restless?" He asks.

"... Yes." I shrug.

"C'mon. We can go hunting." Charles says.

I nod.

"Alright." I agree.

Might as well. Maybe I can learn from Charles about Arthur. They hang out a lot.