Chapter 22

Ester's POV

"Hey guys. What do you want to do?" I ask, walking up behind my friends. I left Mark and Demetri to their discussions, since I couldn't be bothered listening to them. I can't help but feel sorry for Mark. He has to deal with another alpha, who would undoubtedly test his strength in the form of a challenge. I have met very few alphas who haven’t chanced their arm against Mark and I doubt this alpha will be any different. Because we are the biggest pack around, many alphas crave the power and challenge Mark. They all fail, of course. Mark is one strong alpha.

I watch my friends and hear Lucas say something to Yale over their bond. Well more accurately, I feel them say something to each other. I don't actually hear what they say. My heart swells as I watch them stare at one another. I am happy they are together for the simple reason that Lucas is happy.

After a few moments, both of their gazes return to us. "How about we go to the wall and just talk?" Lucas asks. We all nod in unison and are about to head towards our wall when a group of werewolves round the corner. Instinctively I tense, readying myself to fight.

"Ester. No. You must be cautious. Don't be the one to start the fight. They have done nothing to hurt you or your friends." I look around, my eyes roaming the entire area. Where did that voice come from? I look at my friends but none of them seemed to hear the voice. They all have their eyes locked on the intruding werewolves. "Yes. Only you can hear my voice." The voice pauses. "Be cautious."

My attention is drawn to the young male standing at the front of the group as he speaks. "It seems you have a pest problem. Would you like us to take care of it?" he snarls, glaring at Yale. I hear Lucas growls a warning and the males head snaps in his direction. A look of pure disgust fills his face as his small brain clicks all the pieces together.

"You have mated with a filthy leech?! You are disgusting." He begins to stride forward, overconfidence oozing from him. Anger instantly surges within me. How dare he disrespect my family? I manage to hold myself back, that is until he almost reaches us.

As soon as I decide he is too close, I lunge forward, my body colliding with his and sending him sprawling to the ground. The other werewolves with him gasp in shock, and I instantly crouch low in a defensive stance, not taking my eyes off the young male. He, very slowly, rises to his feet, his lips peeling away from his teeth.

"This male is part of something much larger than himself. You must not allow your rage to control your actions, child." That voice again. "Who are you? Why can't my friends hear you and why can't I see you?" I ask in my mind, since the voice seems to be able to read my mind. "Of course I can read your mind. I can hear many things in this world and see so much. Very little escapes my sight." The voice pauses for a moment. "My name is Taini and I am a long way away. Further than you could even imagine."

Wait, what? How can a voice hear everything in this world? How can it see? "Ester. There will be plenty of time later for any questions you have. Right now, we have bigger problems to deal with."

"You would dare attack me? The future alpha of our pack? You filthy little mutt! I will teach you some obedience," he growls at me. Of course, I can't help but snarl and before I am able to stop myself, I shift. The young male is obviously startled as he takes a step back away from me.

Without thinking, I growl and take a step forward, directly challenging him. Of course, he should attack me. I am challenging his authority but before he can, a voice sounds from behind him. "Stand down son. We do not wish to start a war, especially one which we have no hope of winning."

The young male just glares at me, refusing to back down. I hear a crash and I know that Mark and Demetri have decided to join us. I don't look at them, choosing instead to stare the young male down.