Compromise (Viking!Ubbe)

"If that does not give me an heir then what will?" Ubbe groaned rolling over into the furs, his body drenched in sweat and his breath heavy.

"You worry too much, husband." You glance at him, a playful grin on your face.

"Wanting a son is not something to tease about, my love." Ubbe scolded with a smile. "We have been married too long, yet the Gods have given us nothing."

When you agreed to marry the second son of Ragnar, he had made it clearer than the sky on a spring morning - he wanted sons and he was taking no time to make it happen. Wanting to please your husband, you agreed to whatever terms he set.

Ubbe was a good man and he deserved the world. You would climb mountains to see it happen. Each time the two of you laid together, he would claim that this was going to be it. This was the moment his son was to be created. Three seasons and still nothing.

"Perhaps they are waiting? What if they aren't ready to bless us with a son?" You question, laying on your side to face him. Gently pushing your fingers through his hair to soothe him, in the way he likes.

"Son, daughter, I am not picky." Ubbe gives you a quick peck on the lips. "As long as they are healthy and strong." He huffs, trying not to make his next words seem inconsiderate toward you. "Have you been doing everything the healer has said?"

Rolling your eyes, you nod and grunt at him.

"Good." He leans in to rest his forehead against yours. "Then we shall have a child before the next raids."

"And if we do not? If the Gods do not favour me for a child? Then what?" You know it is crazy to ask such things, but here you are.

The pit of your stomach twists at Ubbe's scowl. His blue eyes dark with frustration. Surely the problem is you, he is the son of Ragnar, it is his right to have as many children as he can. You've heard it all before, not from Ubbe, but from others who knew your situation.

"We will have a child." Ubbe softens to comfort you. His sturdy arms around your body, pulling you tighter to his warm chest. "I know it."

"And if we do not? Will you love me?"

"I will always love you." Ubbe whispers, his beard softly brushing against your cheek as he speaks.

"But you would love me more, if I could bear you a son." You answer the unspoken words of your husband.

Ubbe shakes his head, had the gossip really gone that far, you don't believe a word he says?

"When the boats prepare to leave for the raids, if I am still not with child, then perhaps we need to find another solution."

"If the cold weather is difficult, then I am sure there will be some children left without parents. We can bring one or two of them into our home, would you like that?" Ubbe nuzzles your neck as he speaks.

"Is that what you want?" You pull away to look at him, to find any detection of a lie.

Ubbe's smile is sincere and warm, his eyes truthful. He hums in reply. "What other options do we have? If the Gods do not bless us with our own flesh and blood, then surely that is a choice we can both stand to make."

"You do not want a child of your own? One in which you've created? A true heir?"

"No, not if I can't create that child with my wife. I know what you are asking and I will not lie with another woman, only to have you raise a child that is not yours." Ubbe shook his head. "If we take in an orphan, then we can love them equally."

Only Ubbe would say such things and mean them. Your sweet, kind Ubbe, he knew how to make you happy like no other. And you him. Leaning in, giving your husband a swift kiss, you can't help the warmth swelling through out your body.

"You make me the happiest woman in Kattegat." You coo.

"It is only fair that you are the happiest woman." Ubbe kisses your forehead and tightens his grip around you. "You make me the happiest man to ever live."