This was me

To the people of planet Earth.

It started as an idea. What if no knowledge was ever lost? What if humanity could access everything?

It moved on from there. How would we accomplish this? We cannot just write down everything we know. Humans don't know what they know. Times Tables. Schedules. Song lyrics. How to compose a masterpiece.

How then do we know all this? Some things are taught to us. Others are instinctual. How then can we capture what is instinctual? We must capture the essence of the mind.

What is the essence of the mind? It is the person. How do we do that?

Download them.

This was the conclusion our scientists came to. In order to preserve the knowledge of mankind, and the brainwaves of such geniuses as we could produce, we must save their minds. Onto the internet.

But how?

They experimented. For years they tried, formula after formula. The public never knew. To us, they were searching for cures for cancer, for ways to produce more food, to stop bone degradation.

They weren't. They were experimenting. On humans.

What was the point, they reasoned, of saving the mind of a monkey? In this point, their brainwaves are so completely different to ours. What works for them will probably not work for us.

What will work for us?

Us.

People. Real, live people. Prodded and poked and examined.

I was one of them. But I didn't know.

I'd had a car accident. Some scientist had smashed into the back of my second-hand Yuta at 70 kilometres an hour. It was like one of those horror movies, where they rush the person to hospital.

I went straight into surgery. I was unconscious, with a broken ribcage and fragile organs.

They put a chip in my brain.

I had no idea.

I was their experiment. Their unwilling, ignorant experiment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dedicated to my first ever fan, @minny98 who had never had anything dedicated to her.

Thank you for reading. If I should post the next chapter, please comment. If you just read this because you had nothing else to do, that's okay. Thank you for choosing my book.

If you liked it, would you mind voting? It would mean a lot to me. Even though it's just one click of a button. Thanks.