Chapter 18

I felt my blood run cold.

"I need to leave," I said, trying to keep the desperation out of my voice. I yanked my hand away from her.

"Just for a minute child," she said.

"I don't have minutes to spare," I said, "I have to go interview other witches."

She rolled her eyes. "Leave then, ignorant fool."

I ran out of the house and the cool night breeze on my face was a relief. Just as I was about to leave the alleyway, I saw a silhouette approach the house. On closer inspection, I  discovered that there were three figures.

I looked behind me. Just the house at the dead end.

I sought for a hiding place, and found one in the bushes near the window of the house. I crouched in between, and hoped that I wouldn't be seen.

The two figures came closer and closer, and then I could see them clearly. One of them was Ignatius, the other was his son, Dmitri and the third his daughter, Griselda.

Dmitri was as cold as I had seen him before, and today, even in the dark, I could see the anger in his eyes. They glinted with the cold, hard malice of a killer.

Ignatius was thoughtful, and Griselda was smiling cruelly. She was a tween version of Carmella, and her eyes were sparkling with a strange emotion- was it an evil satisfaction?

Dmitri pushed the door open carelessly.

"Get this over with quickly," he said in his sinister voice. Ignatius smiled.

"Always impatient, aren't you, my son?"

Dmitri scoffed, and then I heard Maya's voice.

"Ignatius my brother! Its been a year now!"

"It is a pleasure to see you again, sister," Ignatius said in a friendly tone.

I heard the sounds of chairs being pushed back, and then their voices were right above my head. Their conversation proceeded thus:

Ignatius: Let me get to the point, Maya. There is no use beating around the bush. My son here grows impatient with every passing minute.

Maya: Ah, young Dmitri. Just as cold as ever.

Dmitri: Let's not discuss trivial nonsense.

Griselda: Listen woman, and listen well. We intend to let you in on a secret, which if revealed, can have many adverse effects.

Maya: Which secret?

Dmitri: You are a part of the Reynolds family, and we are of royal blood. Our ideals are the right ideals. We deserve the post of the highest coven. Not the Harmons.

Maya: Yes, I have always thought so. But, they are the unquestionable authorities. We cannot do anything-

Griselda: That is what you think, woman. We are a powerful coven, well versed in the art of dark magic. We can overthrow any other clan, even those stuck up Aguilas.

Maya: Not the Harmons'.

Dmitri: I am not here to convince you about our power. I just ask you one simple question: Will you support us? We require you to look into their state of affairs.

Maya: You mean, like a spy?

Griselda: Yes. You being the silly amateur journalist that you are.

Maya: I am not silly. Certainly not amateur.

Ignatius: Forgive her rudeness. I request you to aid us.

Maya: I......

Dmitri: Decide.

Maya: Lucky that I sent that Harmon witch away. Had she heard any of this.....

Ignatius: Harmon witch?

I shook like a leaf.

Maya: Yes. She had come to ask me some questions about the ingredient for the-

Dmitri: Listen woman, we have no time for this.

Maya: I don't think opposing the Harmons' is a good idea. You get me Ignatius, don't you?

No reply.

Griselda: Are you sure?

Maya( with fear): Please Griselda, understand that this mission is-

Griselda: Do her in, Dmitri. She carries a dangerous secret.

Dmitri: It is risky to let her live.

Maya: No, no, no! Please! Ignatius please! I babysat your youngest! Remember Ignatius? Please! I babysat Julian! Please don't! PLEASE!

Her anguished screams were suddenly quited. There was a thud, and then Griselda laughed, a ringing, hollow voice.

"Dead?" She asked.

There was silence.

"Dead," Dmitri confirmed.

I was clenching my hands so hard, they hurt. I tried to remain as still as possible as they left. After they had gone, I lay in wait for five minutes before coming out. My legs were shaking so much, I almost fell when I stood.

Then I ran. Ran through the village until I was out. I didn't bother to call the driver. I hailed a cab and was soon in my hotel room. Safe.