Charcoal Brown

The screech of the wheels signaled to me that we had arrived at deaths doorstep, aka High-school. I most definitely did not miss this sense of dread, and gnawing at the inside of my stomach, telling me to turn back around and book it through the crisp smell of the pine trees, and to the playground waiting on the other side.

Judging eyes followed me with every step I made. Faster and faster I felt my feet move, slowly the adrenaline kicked in and I made it to the cafeteria in no time. I don't remember when the last time was that I actually had cafeteria food, it's been way too long. With a slow exhale, I make my way through the crowds, lowering my head to avoid contact. As I got closer to the line, the whispers got louder, and more clear, as I heard my name every few words. Tightening my fists, I remind myself that once I grab a muffin I'll go sit outside by my favorite tree stump.

Once I cashed out at the register for my $3 muffin, I make my way towards the doors, and down the rounded sidewalk, slowly coming to a halt as I see a rather large human body slanted against my stump. Walking softly towards them, the body shuffled, and turned to gaze at me, as I captured the most beautiful eyes I had ever seen. His eyes were dark, a charcoal brown, ever so inviting, pulling me closer, as his warmth radiated off of him with ease. The way his cheek bones stood out, and his lips quivered into a questionable smile, and a nod of his head, sending me an approval it was okay to walk up next to him.

"Hi," I say softly, "I'm sorry, I just used to sit here everyday..."

He smiles at me, "So I've heard," he said, pointing at some girls across the way, "they haven't stopped talking to me about this stump since I started here last week."

Slightly confused, I tilt my head to the side, "How did you know it was my stump, do I have that's the crazy girl written on my forehead?" I said with a slight laugh, and a huff.

"No, but they did get one thing wrong, you have the most elegant smile," he said, with a wink.

I felt my face get a little warm, shifting my stance, "Well, I guess I won't bother you anymore," I said, with a wave goodbye, walking too fast to catch what he said as my back turned.

----------------

Fourth period was going by so slow, but I think it just had something to do with the fact the instructor was rather old, and fairly new. The way he spit as he talked, and pointed fingers when he wanted someone to answer his outspoken opinionated questions.

"Parisa, do you understand these rights that I have just said to you?" the tall man said, with a brisk voice.

I couldn't catch everything he had said, because I was too busy focused on my dads face. He was standing with his friend, staring back between me and the girl in the ambulance. It's not like I meant to do that, she just wouldn't stop, no matter how many times I had asked.

As the police man walked me closer to his cruiser, I was able to get a rough look at her. She was crying, covering her mouth, yelling at the EMS to get a hold of her parents. There was a cut above her right eye, a little blood on the corner of her mouth, and an ever so hint of a blueish-purple ring of fingerprints around her neck.

"Excuse me!" a rough and weakened voice spoke, "Would you like detention?"

Turning my face to directly stare at Mr. What's His Face, he gave me the most careless look I have every seen, "Sorry," I stuttered out, noticing everyone staring at me, "I swear I was listening."

He tapped his pencil on the desk, and shook his head as he grabbed a pink slip.

"Look, missy, just because you just got back to school, doesn't mean you get to day dream during my class," he said matter-of-factly, snapping his tongue against the roof of his mouth.

I had opened my mouth, about to say something, but I decided against it, especially because whatever I had to say would have made it even worse.

Grabbing my book bag, my journal and my pride off the floor, I walked up to him, snatching the slip out of his hand, and stalked out of the room and down the hallway. At least if I go into detention, I won't have to deal with these people for the rest of the day.... or so I thought.