Consequences

January 1st,

Today marks the day my world turned upside down. I didn't think that I would lose any friend this way, hell, nobody does. Who pushes a classmate into an embankment, and then blames them, that they're suicidal? It's beyond me. He was a good friend to not only me, but to all of us. Anytime any of us looked sad, he would come and look at us, with those eyes, like he was inside your head telling you everything would be alright. I had faith that everything would be, until that day, and from then on, everything just seemed to escalate downhill.... until I started seeing a therapist, and they decided to tell me that it was my own choices that I had made a year ago, that landed me here, in this exact spot...

"Rowen!" a husky voice yelled, as I sat on the cold bench, chained to the wall, sectioned off from two other cells. The footsteps got louder, as the old man approached the cell I was in, "Looks like it's your lucky day," he huffs, "you've made bail."

Slowly standing up as my bones seemed to crack, while he put the key into the lock. Letting out a slow and shallow breath, I started to prepare myself for what was to come. I'm sure my parents were beyond disappointed in me, hell, I'm sure they hate me right now and wish I wasn't theirs. Honestly, I don't even blame them. As he opened the door, I walked by and got a strong whiff of minty cigarettes and self deprivation. Rounding the next corner, I slow to a halt, staring at my mom. She had dark circles under her eyes, her clothes were torn and she hadn't even brushed her hair. I didn't notice my dad anywhere around, not like that's surprising, he doesn't really like to be seen whenever I mess up, perks of your dad being a judge. Swallowing the lump at the back of my throat, I continue my walk towards my mother, then she turns around and gives me the most somber look ever, "Parisa," she said, quietly, "your father is waiting in the car, let's go."

She didn't say anything else, she just turned on her heels and strode towards the door. I heard the start-up and revving of an engine, as my mom opened the back passenger side door. The car was cool, even though the temperature outside was well below 60 degrees. My dad clears his throat, putting the gear shift into drive, "Saren, did James say anything?" he asked my mom. Thankfully, James was a friend of my fathers, but I'm not sure how well that will go, since he's now my parole officer.

"He didn't say much, just that she has anger management twice a week for three hours, and six months of community service."

I saw my dad glance at me in the rear view mirror, then frown as he turned his attention back to my mom, "Maybe James is being too easy on her. What community service does she have?" he said in a tone that I knew meant he wasn't happy.

My mom fiddled her fingers and situated them into her lap, "I'm not sure Wells, I just know that James won't be getting her out next time."

Tilting my head back onto the seat, closing my eyes, I tried to drown out the hushed conversation my parents were having about me. I honestly didn't intend on it getting this out of hand, but I guess being on drugs and beating someone up is an offence worth this mess.

"Parisa," my dad grunts, "Go inside, your mother and I will be in shortly," he cuts off, as I shuffle my way out of the car.

I didn't know how fast I was going, until I ran into the door while turning the knob. Whatever they are talking about couldn't be good, I just wish I could take everything back.

"What are you doing! Get off of me!" she wailed, trying to pry my hands off of her neck.

Just another shot, after another, and another, and another, and so on....

I jumped at the sound of the front door slamming, breaking me out of my trance. Letting out a defeated sigh, I walk up the stairs to my bedroom, wiping away a few tears from my eyes before laying on my bed. The fluffy blankets, soft pillows, and the soft meows from my cat made me cry a little more. What has gotten into me?

Soft knocks were at the door, as my mom peaked her head in, "Parisa, dinner will be ready in thirty minutes. Please be sure to shower and change before you come downstairs, your father and I have a proposition for you," she said softly, leaving the door open as she waltzed away.

Pressing my thumb to the bridge of my nose, I let out a groan, knowing full well this didn't have a happy ending....