Chapter 28

Writer's Note- remember to vote :(

The restaurant in the mall was luckily not that full and we got seated in an unobtrusive corner right away. It seemed like a casual stop, nothing too fancy but certainly not a fast food place.

Once we were seated by the host and given our menus I scanned the different options to see what I'd like. Mike seemed somewhat distracted looking more at me than at his menu.

"Yes?" I said feeling the brunt of his stares. I wasn't really sure what I wanted from the menu but I was still tired enough that I didn't want to eat too much.

He shook his head, "Nothing."

I ignored it for now, playing with his foot under the table. "Are you very hungry?"

"Not especially I'll probably just get a sandwich and we can share a cake."

"If we get their special, I can have the soup and you can have the sandwich, and we'll share the home style fries."

"Sure." Mike said absently, staring at my mouth as I spoke.

Our waiter came around and he seemed far too conversational for my liking. I rested my chin in the palm of my hand leaning on the table with my elbow as I watched him on his notepad. "Anything else for you, Sir?" He asked far too brightly.

I made a non committal grunt shaking my head , and the waiter winked as he closed his notepad. He was on his way after that.

Mike snorted, "He was flirting with you."

"With who?" I said, startled and siting up straight.

Mike gave me a small smile, "He was staring at your tattoos. I'm sure wondering how far they go."

I'd taken off my sweater when we got seated and I was just wearing a ratty old t shirt but my arms were exposed and it seemed like my tattoos felt like being on my arms today. They still moved around, the vines lengthening and the buds blossoming. Maybe the waiter had been distracted.

"I'm not-" I spluttered for a moment.

"You are attractive."  Mike said, never breaking eye contact with me, "You have a nice smile. I like how dark your eyes are." I covered my face with the menu. Mike complimented me often but this felt more intense somehow.

Sooner rather than later our food was brought, and the waiter brushed my shoulder while plating and the smell of his cologne was entirely too intimate. "Sorry." he murmured while lowering my plate. Instead of disappearing he looked down at me for a moment. "Sorry if it's rude but where did you get your tattoos? They're incredible."

I laughed feeling relieved that this was just about tattoos. "At DC tattoo shop, off of main and third."

"Who inked you?"

"Some guy named Derrick, but I'm sure the others do a good job, too."

#

By the time we got home I could barely stay awake I was so sleepy. Sleepiness did to me what the fever seemed to and I was talking a lot on the way home.

My eyes were closed as I laid on the couch. I was too lazy to change completely so I sat up on my bed with my shirt half off and my pants around my ankles. I fell asleep for a moment waking up to see Mike removing the rest of my jeans.

"Thank you." I said, yawning.

Mike was already wearing his usual sleeping attire, bare chest exposed with a pair of pyjama pants.

"I love you." I said with my eyes closed. "I'm sorry I'm not more affectionate but..." I opened my eyes a moment later trying to stay awake. "I'll try to show you in other ways." I crawled up on the bed, going under the covers. It was so soft, and as soon as my head hit the pillow I was out like a light.