Chapter 7

I can't stand looking at this girl rot her life away any longer! Why won't she just wake up?

"Nurse!" I call through the open door and check my watch, 6:58pm. The energetic puppy of a nurse strides through the door with a pep in her step. But as she crosses through the doorway, I watch her large brown eyes and something darts across them. She falters all together, the huge smile drops just the slightest at the corners and those big eyes seem to cloud over a bit.

"Yes Docter?"

"How long has this young girl been unconscious?" I watch as she grabs the clipboard by the door.

"Hmm," she states as she flips through looking for the right information, "four weeks yesterday, sir." Her voice slightly breaks in the middle of the word "weeks." I can tell she knows what's going to happen.

"And we still have no information on the girl?"

She sticks the clipboard back in its holder and states, "She was found along the side of the main road with no identification. We put flyers all across town and not a single person has seen her before except the ones that found her." She has regained her composer and gives the information dutifully, though her happy-go-lucky personality is nowhere to be found.

"I'm sorry to be saying this, but I think we have to pull the plug." I truly am sorry to be saying this but we need the room for other patients and under typical circumstances, she probably would have been gone at least a week ago.

The nurse inhales sharply at the news but nods. She leaves to go get the coroner and a male nurse to haul the girl away.

I walk over to the girl and grab her hand, "I'm sorry, you deserved better." I have no clue who she is but nobody deserves to go this way.