One

36 hours earlier...

My life had never been normal. My backstory really wasn't something that was tragic, or I had a terrible time growing up, but I didn't have a normal time growing up.

My parents met through a rough time in the world. The War. Supernatural vs Mankind. Both of my parents fought in the war, ironically, they fought for the supernatural side rather than our own kind. But my parents never saw it like that. They were both fighting for equal rights, the same rights that every person on this earth should have. My mum was a pilot for the few planes they had during the war. My dad was a doctor.

My dad is a vet, technically. Though he had training in both animals and humans, he chose to help the supernatural side. My mum went back to working in her army training. There was obviously some outrage and some trust issues when they joined, but after saving the now Werewolf King and Queens life and team, they were brought in and trusted with their lives.

I, however was born a year after the war finished. It didn't take long for my parents to get busy and have me, though I still find it incredibly disgusting that I'm even mentioning this. But like I said, I never had a normal life. I grew up in a palace, which wasn't normal for 'human' children or kids to say. I grew up in the palace for the Werewolf kind. I didn't have normal schooling or normal playtime. I learnt every kind of subject that was imaginable, and my playtime involved fighting werewolves and training with the future of Werewolf kind.

"Nyla!" A voice shouted at me, it was more like he was whining.

"What Conri?" I smirked back towards the little boy that was before me. "Don't like being beaten by girl?"

Conri, was my best friend growing up and who just so happened to be the crowned Prince of the Werewolf kind. This is us when were seven, running around, chasing each other and fighting each other. Even with his supernatural abilities, I managed to win. Either that or he let me; I take it that I won with pure strength and skill on my behalf.

"Hey! Don't pick on me!" He whines back to me.

"What are you gonna do about it?" I smirk back at him, poking my tongue out at him blowing a raspberry at him.

"I'll get my dad!"

That was his go to, every single time I won. Whether it was his fault or not, he would always run to his dad because he knew that his mum would always side with me. I admired Conri's mum, General Croft the second. She was my idol, like my own mum, but there was something that got me thinking of what I wanted to do with my life.

I grew up quickly and when I was 10, Conri and I were as close as any ten-year olds could be. We slept in each other's room, ate at the same time, always didn't everything together. It was as if we were meant for each other. He could feel my pain and I could somehow feel his. We took care of each other and no matter what happened; we were always there for one another.

At the age of 13, both our parents pulled as aside and we had 'the chat'. And I mean the chat you all have about sex, birds, bees, babies and of cause the whole 'Mate' situation with Conri being a wolf and me being a human. My parents didn't care if we had an inter-species relationship. They just wanted me to be happy. However, Conri and I were purely friends and that's all we were ever going to be.

Not long after that chat, my parents were in a car-crash. They were on route to visit family friends in a neighbouring pack, but I wasn't feeling great because I ate too much chocolate cake the night before and had stomach issues. Neither of them survived and I finally moved into the main part of the palace. It was a hard transition, I would barely manage to make it out of my bedroom and Conri would always stay with me. Even on my bad days where I couldn't do anything, he was always there and taking care of me.