Assisted Escape

He clambered up the side of the ship, swinging with great agility until he landed on the deck with ease.

"Did you do all this?" I marveled, looking at the intricate weavings of ropes and ladders to create a maze of possibilities. One hung in a low loop from the mast, creating the most inventive swing I'd seen in my life. Others connected the Crowsnest to the roof of the house in a loose ladder, and I could practically see him scampering across and wreaking havoc. Other than that, the other lines were complicated and it was hard for me to decipher their purpose, though it was evident they were used for swinging as well.

"I have a depressing amount of time on my hands." He said grimly, sinking back against the mast and sighing. "I've found it's best if I stay away...both from Grandmama and the wrath associated with my presence." Upon seeing me struggle, he offered a hand to assist me on my way up the side ladder. Finally, we situated ourselves cross-legged, gazing at each other. He seemed nearly as happy as I felt to be in the presence of another child.

"Livvie, we have business to discuss." His eyes widened, his chin tipping down and indicating this was serious. Something about it was humorous, and I fought back a giggle.

"I'm all ears, Jackson."

He swung a finger around, looking into space. "Firstly, we need to drop this Jackson bit, aye? I fancy myself Jack."

I raised an eyebrow. "Very well."

"Secondly, I've been thinking. I have a proposition for you."

Scooting closer to me, he lowered his voice. "Miss Stafford, I am not wanted here any more so than I'm happy. I am resented, and I resent. Which is why I'm in need of a crew. I'm getting out of this Godforsaken household and becoming what I've always been destined to be." He tossed a flamboyant hand before gazing up at the sky.

I gasped. "Where will you go? When will you leave? Where on Earth will you get a ship?"

"There's one being sold at the docks downtown. It's small, but true. The Barnacle, it be called, I believe. God willing it hasn't been sold yet, I intend to purchase it myself."

"You're but a boy. Do you have the means?"

He let out a scoff, smirking and reaching behind himself to gesture towards the trapdoor.

"The family fortune's stored below decks. All the booty the Teague family has ever plundered."

I shifted my jaw, trying to comprehend what possessed him to do this. He had the family that everyone always wanted, and yet he chose to throw it all away. On the other hand, perhaps he was warranted. My eyes couldn't help but weave their way up his scarred arms, examining the proof of his misery.

"What does this have to do with me?"

"Well, you claimed my father sees you as quite the asset. You're well-equipped for piracy, and you've obviously been trained in ways that I was not allowed. You've been on the seas. So, I propose that we go together."

I was stunned. "W-what? Why would I do that? There's absolutely nothing wrong with the fleet I'm in."

"That may be true," He stood, leaning into one of his ropes and swinging loosely. "But why wouldn't you? We're much alike. Educated, smart, dashing, and most important of all, we're young. Why, we have every possibility! Would you truly rather spend your time with boring, smelly, old people?"

The thought of leaving ached at my heart, but I chose to entertain it. This was the first new friend I'd made, ever. For the sake of humoring him and advancing our alliance, I had to let the fantasy take its course, at least for now.