One

Lacey was pissed. Her hair was messily strewn across her head and her cheeks were flushed red in anger as she marched down the hall towards Daniel who was leaning lazily against a wall. If he knew he was good as dead, he didn't show it.

"Really, Daniel? A recuse team at the bottom of the building?" Lacey shoved him further against the wall, her eyes appearing to flash red as she slapped him across his face. He blinked out of surprise but stayed completely still, this was the second time he'd done something like this, and he knew it was better if he stayed silent.

"It's suicide, Woods!" she seethed . "I'm supposed to die, not get rescued by the neighborhoods friendly firefighters."

Daniel shrugged and simply stepped out of her angry reach. "Sorry darling, I can't have you throwing your life away on my watch."

"And who are you to tell me what to do with my life, Daniel? You don't even care, you're just like the rest of them!"

He sighed feeling a wave of déjà-vu washing over him, it had always been like this, this was all he knew. "I'm your boyfriend that's who! And I'm making it my responsibility to make sure you're happy and alive!"

The air seemed to be on fire as they stood there glaring at each other. Lacey's throat was burning as she tried to speak, but it came out as strangled sounds. Daniel froze, afraid she would break down in the middle of the hall leaving him to pick up the broken pieces of her soul. Daniel knew what that would mean for him, he would eventually get cut on the pieces of her soul pushing him further into Lacey's whirlwind of life.

Instead, however, she slammed her fist against the drywall, the sound echoing through the empty halls of the abandoned building. "Damn it, Daniel! Just leave me alone, don't even talk to me!"

She raced past him, heavy footsteps echoing through the dark halls. Daniel followed silently, grabbing her arm as she made her way into the parking lot. Lacey's back slammed into his chest but he stood still and tall, unaffected by the collision.

"Let me take you home at least." His voice was raw and drained, never did he want to see her like this. But since the incident it had always been this way, this was the Lacey he had fallen in love with, the depressed and anti-social Lacey. He often wondered what would happen once she got better. Would he still love the happy and spirited Lacey like he loved her now? The thought of him not loving her sent shivers down his spine.

Lacey's anger was wearing out, Daniel had a death grip on her arm, keeping her close against his chest. Any other time she would have snuggled into his warmth to keep the chilling wind out, but more than anything right now she wanted to jump off a building and let the wind take her wherever it pleased.

A hot tear slipped down her cheeks but she didn't bother to brush it away. "Let me go, Woods! Or I swear to god I'll break up with you and burn all the stuff you gave me. Even your signed sports jacket from the Olympics!"

Daniel laughed haughtily releasing his grip on her arm. Lacey was all bark and no bite, she made empty threats that could scare most people, but not himself, it was as if had grown immune to it. "Go ahead then, leave me."

Lacey faltered, surprised he had let her go so easily. His body heat fled from her body as she stood there staring up into his golden speckled eyes. "I- I can't." Tears streamed down her face, as she silently thanked god she had put on water proof mascara. Her bony arms reached out blindly for him. "Daniel I can't!"

He sighed, feeling his heart clench painfully in his chest. One again she was back in his embrace, years staining his sweater. "I know Lace, it's okay. I love you."

She sniffed gazing up at him. "Always and forever?"

Daniel hesitated, would he always love her? The answer hurt him, but he smiled down at her and lied to her face anyway.

"Always and forever."