Prolouge

"How far is the jump?" she asked, pale legs dangling off the edge off the building.

"Far enough to kill you," Daniel answered, smoke from his lit cigarette billowing out in the air around the two.

Lacey nodded, taking in the night as if it was her last, and as far as she was concerned, it would be.

"Will you jump with me?"

Daniel scoffed, "Sorry darling, but having my guts splattered all over the concrete is not how I intend to go out."

Normally, Lacey would be offended but she just smiled up at him, hand out reaching for the cigarette. Reluctantly he handed it to her, any other day he would roll his eyes and ignore her pleads for his toxic stick, but tonight was an exception. Tonight was her last night.

She took a puff, and blew it out just like he had taught her on the roof of an abandoned house all those days ago. But of course none of that mattered now, all that mattered was right now.

"Will you miss me Daniel?"

"Always and forever babe." He had said it so many times now that he no longer choked on the words or let the tears fall down his face.

"Promise me you won't cry at my funeral."

He looked up at the dark sky, his breathing getting heavier as he felt the dreadful moment drawing closer. "I promise."

Lacey reached over and gave him one last kiss, leaving Daniel breathless. She always had that power over him, and he thought he would miss her kisses the most.

"Always and forever babe," she whispered, sliding closer to the edge of the roof.

Daniel let go of her wrists and nodded as if to say, it's ok, be free. She smiled at him one last time and Daniel had to fight the urge to grab her by the waist and hold her forever.

"Goodbye my darling," she whispered.

And then she jumped.