Christmas Eve

It was the day before Christmas in Gotham. It sure did come fast for Kevin and Barbara. Kevin enjoyed being Santa Claus for the last few weeks. He figured he'd do that next year. After his final shift, Kevin got out of his Santa suit, and drove to the place where he tried out as Santa Claus for the first time. Kevin was given a $1,000 check. He decided to put half of it in his savings account, and the other half in his checking account.

Much later, Kevin was at the grocery store. He was buying ingredients for chocolate chip cookies, Oreo cookies, and different colors of frosting. He was then at the check stand, waiting to pay for everything. In front of him was the same motorcycle dude that was at the coffee shop and the mall. He had a carton of eggnog, a bottle of peppermint flavored vodka, and a funnel small enough to put in a flask. Kevin eyed these ingredients, looked at the motorcycle dude, and asked, "making a cocktail?" The motorcycle dude shrugged and said, "Eh, something like that. Gotta say, you do a good job impersonating Santa Claus."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," denied Kevin, chuckling. The motorcycle dude smirked and said, "There it is. Stubbornness like your old man. You definitely got his eyes." He was ready to pay for everything, when suddenly, he noticed he was short on cash. "Ah shit, I don't have enough to pay for everything!" the motorcycle dude complained, pouting. "Allow me," said Kevin as he got out money to pay for the drinks and funnel, "tis the season for giving." The motorcycle dude smiled and said, "Thanks man. You know, you're not so bad."

As Kevin went to pay for his stuff, the motorcycle dude got out a flask, and opened it, putting the mini funnel in the hole. Kevin looked at the dude and asked, "Aren't you that guy that likes to be at the coffee shop and spike your morning cup of coffee?" The motorcycle dude poured the eggnog in the flask and said, "Yep. I was gonna do this whole you think you got a shot with Babs BS, but now you've convinced me that you're cool." Kevin got his receipt and bag of ingredients, and asked, "Are you a friend of Dick and Babs?" The motorcycle dude put the peppermint vodka in the flask and said, "Eh, something like that. You could say they're like family." Kevin offered his hand and said, "I'm Kevin Beaumont." The dude shook his hand and said, "Jason." He closed the flask and shook it up.

Kevin's detective instincts kicked in. He began to recognize "Jason's" facial features. He'd seen his face in photos before, when he was younger. Back when he was the second Robin! Kevin saw it was Jason Todd, inexplicably back from the dead! Kevin stuttered out, "J-J-Jason T-" But Jason interrupted him with a shush and said, "Not yet Kev. It's not time to make the big announcement just yet... You can blurt it out on New Year's, but until then, it's our little secret..." He winked at Kevin, and sipped some of his homemade Christmas cocktail. "Merry Christmas," he said, "and go get her, Tiger." He then left the store, leaving Kevin dumbfounded.

Much later, Kevin was at Wayne Manor, making the Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies. He was singing along to some Christmas songs, when Bruce walked in, wearing his Batsuit. "Oh hey Dad," said Kevin as he smiled at Bruce. "Hello Kevin," said Bruce, "I see you're making cookies for tomorrow." Kevin nodded and said, "Yep, they're the cookies June taught me how to make." Bruce nodded, having noticed the package of Oreo Cookies. "I understand that today is Christmas Eve," stated Bruce as he took off his mask, "and traditionally, you're supposed to open your Christmas gifts on Christmas Day... But I wanted to give you this, because you're my son, and you mean a lot to me." He then brought out a small box with red wrapping and a green bow. "Please, open it," insisted Bruce. Kevin nodded, first washing his hands with soap, and once they were rinsed, he dried them with a towel. Once Kevin's hands were clean, he then began to open the present from his father. Once the wrapping was torn open, he opened the small box and found... A locket the size of a pocket watch, an unusually large size for a locket. Kevin looked at it. "It's very nice," complimented Kevin. "Wait until you see what's in the locket," said Bruce. Kevin carefully opened up the locket, and inside the locket was a picture of Bruce and Andrea when they were extremely young. It was when their relationship was getting serious, and they loved each other. Bruce and Andrea looked happy together.

Kevin was moved to tears, for all the right reasons

Kevin was moved to tears, for all the right reasons. "It's beautiful..." he said, "thank you so much Dad... I'll cherish this forever and ever." He smiled at his father, tears of joy streaming down. Bruce hugged Kevin and said, "The greatest gift I could ever ask for this Christmas is having you for a son, Kevin... I know I'm not the best at expressing my emotions or any other type of sentiment, but never forget, I'm proud of you and I love you son." Kevin hugged back and said, "I love you too Dad... Merry Christmas."