Chapter 9

The atrium was massive. It was at least 40 times bigger than my entire apartment combined. Keep in mind that this is just the Kakushitsu's atrium. A large hollow dome adorned the ceiling, and the walls were glossy brown marble, detailed with intricate patterns.

It was grand. Freaking grand. To think that I was a Kakushitsu. And yet, I felt lost. Sure, the room was huge and living here would be luxurious. But there was something about MY apartment that I missed more. It felt like home, maybe cause it was so cramped, but it felt like my place. The Kakushitsu family mansion was damn nice, I mean, it was even built on top of a cliffside, but it just...wasn't mine.

So when I walked into the atrium, I couldn't help but feel just a little out of place. The floor was made up of various marble tiles that fit together to form an elaborate array of swirling colours. A large, and very long dining table was the centerpiece of the room, its ends stretching halfway across the room, widthwise.

Seated at the very end, at the center of the table was a tall well-built man. His fists were firm, large, but not pudgy. He was bald. Dark opaque sunglasses contrasted with his light tone. A very suave black suit, one I could probably never afford, wrapped around him and he tugged at it.

This man was Father. Head of the Kakushitsu household, and one of the heads of the Kakei clan.

Let me elaborate. The Kakushitsu household is one big family. Several couples and their children make up the majority of it, me included. At the top of the heirarchy is the man seated in front of me, whom they only refer to as Father. He runs the Kakushitsu household.

The Kakushitsu household is also part of a clan - a group of families with similar goals in mind. They work there, form bonds and contracts. Sophisticated stuff. The clan is run by a board of leaders, each leader is the head of each household in the clan. So Father is also part of the Kakei clan board. Dynasty and stuff.

The Kakei clan board and all the households in it run...take a guess, the Kakei Corporation. The corporation that mass produces electronic products and utilities for the masses. Hell, I used to own a Kakei TV before it got shot up by Debra on her little expacade at my apartment. Before I knew I was Kakei too.

Everyone born into the Kashusitsu house automatically becomes a member of the Kakei clan. There are no invites. You're either born into it or married into it. I was born into it.

At least, that's what my half-brother told me on the way here. His name is Miles. Slick grey hair, black vest, red tie, probably gets all the ladies. He and Debra are siblings, and they're my half-siblings. We share the same mother. I've already told you about how she was with other men, which led to me. That doesn't bar me from being born into the Kakei clan though, since my mother was in it too.

Long ago anyway. She's dead now. A stray bullet hit her on a leisurely walk in the neighbourhood, apparently. Sounded like an assassination, but I bit my tongue and held it in. Miles led me into the atrium and closed the door shut.

Private time with Father. One-on-one. Fun.

He gestured towards me, obliging me to take a seat. I would probably be shot by a hidden gun if I didn't, so I sat. I couldn't afford to take any chances.

He clenched his hands together, and lent forward, his elbows placed on the table.

"My son," he said in a deep low voice.

"Father," I said. Grandfather was more correct, since he was my mother's father, but for respect's sake and family ideals, Father would do as a name.

"Let's talk."

Nope, that wasn't good.

"About what?" I inquired.

"About you."

Ah, hell.

He continued. "You are an assassin. Ronin, if I recall correctly. You have completed 6 of your client's inquiries in the past 12 months."

"Is there a problem with my," I cleared my throat, "'business'?".

"No. In fact, your skills are worthy of praise. You are skilled, young Niro. Your expertise would be useful in eliminating some of the Kasushitsu's...competitors."

As much as I would like to decline that offer, I didn't want to die prematurely. So I heard him out.

"There has been some internal strife in the Kakei clan for the past few years. The Nagoshi household, one of the other houses in the clan, have tried to kill some of our members...numerous times."

"Uh...but don't you two have like a professional relationship?"

"Yes, but that doesn't stop them. Have you ever heard the term 'dog eat dog world'?"

I smirked, "Actually, I have."

"Then you would know that trust is something we can do without. The world is tough, Niro, and some people just love backstabbing you at every opportunity."

"I believe the proper term is prick," I said.

"Well, these...'pricks', you say, they are the Nagoshi house, and while they co-operate with us, they still try to usurp leadership of the Kakei clan. Not just from us, many others too."

"Wow, those guys must be pricks."

"I get the colloquial term. There is no need to barrage me with it, Niro."

"Okay, then," I muttered, "geez, mister."

"Your services are perfect for," he coughed, "eliminating the Nagoshi head. Without a head, control breaks loose. All those Nagoshi bastards are greedy, and if there's no head, they'll all scramble desperately for control." He gave me a smile with malicious intent. "It will be chaos."

I started to understand this guy. Father probably fought his way up to the top of the Kasushitsu household and restored order. He was cold and calculative, a master tactician and strategist who called the shots. He exuded brilliance, in a very scary way. His very presence intimidated others. This man meant business.

"What's in it for me?" I asked. Typical question, but it keeps the conversation flowing.

"You," he began, "get to retain thw right to stay in the Kasushitsu household. Access to all kinds of weapons and contacts. Protection from the government. And most importantly, a new apartment."

That sweetened the deal. Like a cherry on top.

"New apartment? A chance to take out a corporate Nagoshi head? Gee, could you add just one more thing?"

"What?"

I whispered.

He laughed.

"Done."

I grinned.

This guy meant business.