4. The Compassionate Prick

[ edited 2nd Dec 2015 ]

I didn't see Lucas again the next day. He seemed like a nice guy, and after the run-in with the unnamed arse yesterday, I was in dire need of nice guys, to be friends with of course. Naturally I was disappointed as I walked in on Marie having breakfast in the dining room.

"Morning sweetie," she exclaimed as she saw me. "You must be the new boarder Lucas was talking about.

I nodded. "Morning ma'am," I smiled widely at her.

She looked better awake and aware. Her hair was brushed and pulled back in a bun and her face was brighter than yesterday. She wore an apron above her floral top and black knee length skirt.
Marie waved her arm in an exasperated display of annoyance. "Pfft! None of that ma'am bull! You can call me Marie. Now darling, your name?"

"Alexandria," I replied.

"What a lovely name," she lifted her steaming mug before glancing at me again. "Have some breakfast, dear girl."

"No thanks. I was going out. I have an appointment."

She got up then. "Well, then I'm sure I have one of those Styrofoam cups lying around. You can take it with you."

"Oh no. I don't want to be a bother."

"Oh now. Not another word from you about this. I know you young girls this day skip meals. None of that when you're boarding here. I've been told that I make a mean cup of hot chocolate. Are you good with hot chocolate?"

I chuckled lightly. "Is the sky blue?"

She lets out a warm round of guffaws. "You're right there. Who doesn't like hot chocolate?" She headed towards the kitchen and the next second I heard the loud sound of stuff being ransacked.

"It's perfectly alright Marie," I called out after a couple more noise filled ransacking occurred. "I can grab one to go from the nearest cafe."

The noise stopped. "Found one!"

Minutes later, she exited the kitchen with a Styrofoam in one hand and a paper bag in the other.

"Here ya go. I hope you're not allergic to blueberries. Made a fresh batch of muffins this morning. Lucas loves them, I hope you will too." She handed it over, the aroma of both goodies making me want to dig in right there, but I controlled myself.

"Thank you so much," I smiled warmly at her as I grabbed my bag. "Where is Lucas?"

Marie looked me over, before a smug smile appeared on her face, making her look ten years younger. "Nice boy, isn't he?"

I nodded, not knowing how to correctly answer that question.

"He must be off running errands for Annabel," she replied. "She got back yesterday.

Annabel? Was that his girlfriend? Figures. He'd already be taken.

"Oh." Why did I have to sound disappointed?

"Oh no, dear. Don't get the wrong idea. Annabel's his grandmother, on his father's side, and my dearest friend. She's the reason he's helping me out." Marie looked ready to burst into laughter.

"No, I didn't really..."

She waved me off. "Now, you best be off to your appointment before you're late. You know how to get there?"

I nodded. Mom had already taken care of that for me, as evident by the weathered drawn all over map currently in my bag.

"Good, now be off. It's no good for a girl your age to be seen with an old goof like me. Have a great time and stay out of trouble," she gave me a warm smile before disappearing again into the kitchen.

"Thanks," I called out before exiting the door and heading towards the nearest bus-stop.

* * *

Getting onto the set was a whole lot easier than I'd thought it to be. No one stopped me and I guess the sign in the front reading, 'AUDITIONS IN PROGRESS! PLEASE WAIT YOUR TURN! NO CAMERAS ALLOWED!' was the reason.

James was nowhere to be seen, and I couldn't really call him. 

What would I say? "Hey babe! I flew all the way here to surprise you, met an arrogant douche on the plane, met another much nicer guy who looked like he just walked out of a GQ photo-shoot and now I'm here and can't find you. Where are you?"

No, that wouldn't work. So now, what?

My answer came in the form of a guy who was directing another crazy hopeful in to audition.

I pasted on my brightest smile before heading towards him. "Hi!" I hoped a berry wasn't stuck in between my teeth.

He looked up from his phone, expression irritated. "What do you want?" he snapped.

Caught off guard, I don't say anything.

"If you're here for an audition you should wait your turn."

I laughed. "Me? Audition? You're kidding right? I wouldn't be caught dead acting like someone I'm not!"

"Then, why are you wasting my time?"

"Gosh! Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Or didn't your mommy give you your favorite cereal?" I had to admit, I was enjoying pissing off this prick. It was fun, in a weird, yet not psychotic way.

"I wouldn't know. My mom died in a plane crash twelve years ago!"

And there went my enjoyment of pissing him off! "I'm..."

"Speechless? I don't need another person saying I'm sorry and not really meaning it. I don't want your pity. Now, what do you want?" He looked back at his phone, scrolling through it.

"Umm... never mind!" I started to walk off.

"Just tell me! You don't want to go and piss off another person now do you?" An arrogant smirk appeared on his face.

"Do you know where James Mangy is?"

He stopped scrolling and looked up. "You mean the lackey fooling around with almost all the female PA's on the set?"

I shook my head. "No, you must have him confused with someone else..."

"No. There's only one James working on the set and it would be him. Why are you looking for him? Did he break your heart?"

"No," I replied and if what this person had said was true, my heart would be breaking soon. "I'm his girlfriend."

He looked at me shocked. "Why'd you want to date a tool for him for in the first place?"

"None of your business. Now, do you know where he is or not?"

He smiled, almost sympathetically. "Look for the nearest supply closet and you'll find him."

I glared at him before heading off, doing exactly what he'd said, looking for the nearest supply closet, hoping the douche was lying.

"I'm sorry!" He called out before I turned into the right corridor.

There could be another James he was talking about. No way was it my James. No way.

•••※※※•••

Follow me on my SNS accounts for teaser chapters or you wanna ask me a question.

instagram: http://www.instagram.com/ehl_kayy

website : http://ehlkayy.weebly.com

twitter: http://twitter.com/EhlKayy1D

email : lqkaloucava@gmail.com