Ali(Ra) -mathematics!!!👌

Ali bin Abi Talib (RA) was well-known for his brilliance especially in Mathematics.

In the following two stories, he  gave immediate and astounding yet completely accurate answers to complex mathematical problems that were brought to him:

Two men traveling together sat down to have lunch. One had five loaves of bread, the other three. Another traveler joined them and they all decided to share the eight loaves by dividing each loaf into three parts. Each man then ate 8 pieces. When the third man got up to leave, he left the two men a total of eight dirhams to pay for their loaves of bread.

The man who had five loaves gave the one with three loaves 3 dirhams and kept 5 for himself. The man with the three loaves didn’t agree – he wanted a 50% share i.e. 4 dirhams. The man with the five loaves refused and the dispute was brought before Ameer ul Mumineen, Ali bin Abi Talib.

Upon hearing their story, Ali (RA) told the man with three loaves that the man with 5 loaves had already given him more than his fair share and requested him to accept the three dirhams.

The man with the three loaves refused.

Ali (RA) said that in fact the man with the three loaves was entitled to only one dirham out of the eight! He then offered the following explanation:
The men had 8 loaves of bread divided into 3 equal parts each which was equal to 24 pieces. Each traveler ate 8 pieces. The man who had three loaves had a total of 9 pieces from his loaves out of which he ate 8, leaving only one piece for the third traveler. The man with the 5 loaves had contributed 15 pieces out of which he ate 8 leaving 7 pieces for the third man. Hence, the man with the five loaves was entitled to 7 dirhams whereas the man with the three loaves was entitled to only one dirham!

Subhan Allah!

In another case, a dying man made a will stating that out of his 17 camels, half were to be given to his eldest son, one-third to his second son and one-ninth to hisyoungest son.

After his death, his relatives could not figure out how to divide the 17 camels according to the man’s will. So they took their problem to the Caliph Ali bin Abi Talib (RA), knowing that he would have the answer.

Ali (RA) listened to the problem then said, “I will lend one of my camels so that there are 18 camels and then divide them according to the man’s will.

So the eldest son gets half of the 18 camels, that is 9.
The second son gets one-third of the 18 camels, that is 6.
The youngest son gets one-ninth of the 18 camels, that is 2.”

“That’s 17 camels,” he said. “And now I will take my camel back!”

😊
Vote 🌟 comment 💭