Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 'Where... where am I?'

Jeffery jerked awake with a start when he heard the words being spoken. He stared down at his patient, an immense wave of relief coursing through his body. The Girl was alive! And from the looks of things, she was on her way to making a full recovery.

'You are in The forest,' Jeffery told her softly. 'I found you last night, lying unconscious and nearly dead on a path coming from the forest. I carried you inside, and my father's healers tended to your wounds. Please, tell me your name and how you came to be here.'

'My name is Annie,' said the girl. 'I come from In the city. I was on an errand from my father, to deliver an important message to Erik in Dundee. But last night... All I remember is that I was riding through the forest when suddenly I was attacked by a group of Killers with wepons. At least 12 surrounded me. I tried to escape, but there were so many, and I had only my Knife for protection. And that is the last thing I recall. I do not know how I came to be here, or why I am not dead.'

Jeffery smiled kindly at her. 'The stars must shine favourably on you. To live through such an ordeal... that is more than mere luck.' It was more than luck, too, that Annie had wound up in The forest and Jeffery had found Her. Now that they two were together, it felt almost like fate had lent a hand. Annie was meant to be here, and Jeffery was meant to have found her. Why, Jeffery did not know. But it felt so certain.

It also did not hurt that Annie was one of the most beautiful individuals Jeffery had ever seen. Her sleek brown hair contrasted with large, coco coloured eyes set in a lovely face. And her sculpted body, half-hidden by the bed linens, was a further attraction. Jeffery was having trouble stopping himself from running his hands over that perfectly soft, wavy hair and perfect body. Despite the fact he just met the girl he managed to keep his feelings under control. Annie had just barely survived a nearly fatal encounter. Now was not the time for romance.