1: Transfers

Yes, I am a fan girl. No, I don’t go and stalk my idol on Facebook, or follow on twitter, or constantly check on the fan sites that say “Colin Ford forever”. So yes I do love Colin Ford and I do love the ‘We Bought A Zoo’ and I even love that one episode of Supernatural, just because Colin Ford is in it even though I never watch supernatural. I do also day dream about him, and even though he is two years older than me and there is no chance I could ever meet him because I live in Sydney and he lives in Tennessee, I still love him.

“Hey Olive.” Chloe’s pixy like face peered at me. Her honey blonde hair fell over her face and her green brown eyes looked into mine curiously. She was smiling slightly, and was kneeling on the chair with the back of it on her stomach, leaning over the school desk to me. God, I hoped she didn’t touch any gum under the table. Around her wrist, she wore the twisted rope friendship bracelet I had given her over 2 years ago, when we had first met in year 7. You could tell it was old. The rope was shredding and the beads had all come off. The only thing left was a tight shrivelled string with clumps of knots running through it. Mine had fallen off at least 6 months ago, and I told Chloe to take hers off because there was no point wearing a friendship bracelet if the other person didn’t wear theirs but she insisted on keeping hers on.

“What’s up?” I rested my elbows on my desk and pushed my books and pens to the side. The teacher had left the room to collect some worksheets, and he wouldn’t be back for a while.

“I thought I had lost you. You looked so distant.” She smiled and giggled. “Were you thinking of Colin, perhaps?”

My cheeks reddened and I smiled sheepishly. “You know me too well Chloe. Are you coming to my house today? Mum and Dad are out for dinner and Summer is at her friend’s house for the night so I’ll be all alone.” I pouted, and pulled the cutest doggy face I could, opening my blue eyes wide.

Chloe winked. “You’ll have to prove you can cook or there is no chance I’ll be coming over to your house.”

“Is pizza good enough for you? I’m amazing at ordering.”

“Your cooking skills never surprise me. Sure, but I have to be back home at 9.”

Our teacher chose that moment to walk in. It’s funny how the teacher always walks in at the perfect moment in all the movies and books. Well he did, and handed out the worksheets. Algebraic questions covered the paper and the other students in the class groaned. The bell was going to go within the next minute, which meant the sheet was for homework. I looked at the first question. I didn’t seem too hard, it would just take forever to complete all the questions.

“I guess we’ll be spending this afternoon doing homework”, Chloe whispered to me.

The bell rung and the students began to pack up their belongings. I shoved my math books and pencil case into my bag, and picked up the textbook, ready to put into my locker. Chloe did the same, and stood beside me. Normally we would be allowed to leave the room straight away but the teacher held us back. “Assembly girls,” he said. The students’ faces dropped as we trudged towards the school hall.

As usual assembly consisted of the teachers making complaints about the uniform, girls from our school coming to the stage to talk about numerous trips overseas, and the captains talking about school events. Eventually as the end neared, a representative of some company walked on to stage.

“Every year students choose to travel overseas on exchange. They stay with a host family, and live with them for a certain amount of time. They go to school in the other country, learn the language and the culture and they do all this by themselves. We have a program for this. Many Australian students go to the European countries, or English speaking countries. We have exchanges for 1 month, 3 months and 6 months. You can go on exchange or become a host family, or do both. Over the holidays you can also go on exchange for 2 weeks with your close friends and stay with a host family together. If you would like to learn more about this I will be outside the entrance of the hall after assembly. Thank you.”

Chloe nudged me. “Hey we should do this.” She grinned widely. “That would be so cool! I mean like an adventure. And I can finally get away from that stupid house and travel.”

“How old do you have to be to go? Hey Chloe, can we get one of the pamphlet thingies, I want to go?” I asked Chloe.

“Sure. I think if I could go I would want to go to, umm, I think Italy or France. Yeah, pizza’s and pasta and crepes, YUM!”

“I think I want to go to America or England. Cute boys with English accents, or super sexy guys with American accents, YUM!” I mocked her.

Chloe elbowed me and frowned. “You are so safe, and everything revolves around boys with you, doesn’t it?”

“Yep, boys rock my world.”

Chloe laughed, throwing her head back. The teacher closest to us glared at us. Chloe quickly composed herself and continued to listen to the principle speaking. Soon, the assembly was over and the students were rushing out. The front door was swarmed with green and white girls, trying to leave as quickly as possible. A couple of students kept to the side, trying to take a pamphlet and ask questions before being pushed out the door. Chloe and I waited until the crowd had died down to get the pamphlet.

The man who had spoken up the front of assembly was waiting out of the way of the door. Up close he looked a lot different. His dreadlock blonde hair was pulled back and he wore a beanie. He wore cargo shorts and a “save the planet” tee. I’m guessing he actually believed in saving the planet.

“Hi girls, here’s a pamphlet. Would you like to know anything?” he asked, handing us both a pamphlet.

I glanced at Chloe who was flicking through the pamphlet before smiling at the save-the-planet-dude. “Um, I was just wondering how old you have to be to go?”

“You have to be 14 before you sign up.”

I smiled widely. I had turned 15 in May and it was June. “Ok, thanks heaps.” I grabbed Chloe by the arm and pulled her out of the hall. I could feel her stumbling to keep up with me but I didn’t stop pulling her until we were far from the hall.

“I WANT TO GO!!!!” I screamed at her.

She looked a bit shocked at first, but started laughing straight after. “Do what you want, I’m going to Italy.” She swayed her hips and brought her arms above her head as she said Italy.

“But I want to go with you.” I pouted.

“You want to come to Italy? I thought you wanted to go somewhere where they speak English.”

“I do! But I want you to come with me”

“Tough luck girly, I’m planning on getting tanned and meeting respectable guys, not sit in the snow turning pasty white.”

“Now who’s obsessed with boys?” I winked at her.

“You’ll have fun by yourself! You’ll meet heaps of new people and the new girl at the new school always gets the most attention”, she laughed.

“But only if they are cute! And that only happens in movies.”

“Oh whatever, just ask your parents tonight.” Chloe walked off slowly, blowing me a kiss.

*              *            *

Hi! comment if you want, hope you like it... it's my first story so sorry if i update late and stuff because i still don't know how to use it wattpad T.T'    anyway Colin's coming in next chapter :D well his first apearance anyway xoxo