nine

Jessa

The rest of the day was spent riding almost every single rollercoaster in the park. It was the perfect day; the sun was shining and J was the happiest I've seen him since I met him. He seemed like a kid again, a kid that never got to actually be a kid. It was both amazing and heart wrenching to watch. On each ride he would do this thing where he'd expect me to hold his hand before we would take off, so he'd hold it out on his lap and I'd happily grab it each time. The gesture seemed to be more than a friend thing, but I don't think he knew that. Either way though, I was happy to be his first friend.

"Jessa?" J nudged my shoulder, tearing me from my clouded thoughts. "What is it?" He asked just as we neared the concessions.

"Nothing, just daydreaming I guess." I smiled and scanned the menu board, using my hand to shield my eyes from the sun. "I would say we could share some nachos but knowing you you'd clean the plate before I could get any." I laughed and looked his way, noticing a frown on his still busted lip that was taking forever to heal.

"It sucks that I can't buy anything for us." He mumbled and looked to his feet. My heart swelled for him, I didn't even take into consideration how he must feel about me paying for everything.

"It's not like it's my money anyways," I ran my fingertips down his back, causing him to shiver slightly before stepping an inch or two farther away from me. I ignored it.

"My mom puts thirty dollars in my card a week. It's supposed to be for volunteer supplies and gas but this works too." I said, smiling. I hoped he would smile back at me or laugh but his expression seemed annoyed. I regretting saying anything as soon as I realized that what I said made me sound like a spoiled brat..I should reword it.

"I wanted to get a job but she wants me to focus on school-"

"Oh, you mean the school you've been skipping for days to hang out with a homeless delinquent?" He scoffed.

"What is wrong with you? You're laughing and having a good time one minute and then the next you're back to feeling sorry for yourself and taking it out on me when I'm just trying to help you." I spit, slightly embarrassed after realizing that a few people were now staring at us.

"I never needed help." He whispered closer to my ear. He must have noticed that people were listening too.

Before I could answer him I suddenly heard my name from somewhere around me, and it was a familiar voice. I froze. It was Natalie's voice but she was accompanied by Marc and Reece.

You have got to be kidding me.

I walked out from the concession's line to get closer to them, hoping to god that J wouldn't follow, but of course without hesitation he stayed closely beside me. We're screwed.

"You made it! I wasn't sure you would come, I thought maybe you've been sick-" She stopped after noticing J beside me, and I instantly wanted to disappear.

"What do you mean you weren't sure I would come? I thought you guys were in school." I asked, confused as hell.

"Um," she raised a brow and pulled a familiar looking free pass ticket out of her pocket before showing it to me. "The shelter gave us all these for giving out the most boxes, remember? They're only good for today and it counts as field trip hours at school..how do you not remember this?" She laughed and stuffed the pass back into her pocket.