Better than Expected

Diana opened the door to her apartment only to find her best friend, Bruce Wayne, standing outside with his puppy. She leaned against her doorway and smiled up at him. "I take it you have another date tonight." She stated, looking at him up and down, he was wearing a nice suit the color black. A grey dress shirt with the top buttons undone. His hair was styled back and his blue eyes shone with anxiety.

He also kept fidgeting with his puppy's leash as well as with the tie he was holding. "Yes, I brought Ace to you hoping that you could watch him while I'm gone."

Diana watched him for a few moments, this has been the third date he has had in two months. Always ending up coming home alone. Saying things like 'we just didn't click' or 'she was just there because of who I am' or 'she was boring as hell' or 'we had absolutely nothing in common'. She stepped away from the door, walking back inside her apartment, leaving it open for him and Ace to follow. "You seem more nervous than usual about this date." Diana commented as she poured herself a cup of coffee, making him one as well.

Bruce cleared his throat as he closed the door behind him and letting Ace loose. "Yeah, well um- this time it feels as if it will actually work out for me."

Diana smiled slightly and made her way to him with both cups of steaming coffee. She placed hers on the coffee table and gave him his, grabbing his tie she started to tie it around his neck. Fixing the neck of the shirt, she rested her hands on his shoulders. He got lost in her intense blue gaze, without noticing he placed his free hand on her cheek.

They stayed that way for a few moments before Diana pulled away. "For your sake I hope it goes great. If there's anyone who deserves to be happy, it's you Bruce."

He smiled at her, "Thank you, Diana, truly." She returned his smile with one of her own as she sat on her couch with her cup of coffee at hand. "You still have my keys, right Bruce?" She asked as she took a sip from her cup. He nodded. "Good, because I don't know if I'll be awake by the time you get back. So you can just let yourself in."

"Alright, Princess." He took a huge gulp from his coffee and placed the cup in the sink. Making his way to the door he gave her one last grateful look. "Thank you again, Di. I don't know what I would do without you."

Diana smirked at him, "Probably crash and burn. Now go, Bruce or you'll be late." He nodded once more and left, closing the door behind him.

Looking at Ace, she picked him up and placed him on her lap as she turned on the tv. "Guess it's just you and me, Ace."

~~~
Bruce got out of his car with a sigh. His date with Selina had gone great the problem this time had been him. Throughout the date all he could think about was Diana. Her laughter when they would watch funny movies. The way she didn't even have to try to capture his attention. The way he didn't feel as if he had to hide something from her. Her honesty and kindness. The way her blue eyes seemed bluer when she talked about a cause she was passionate about. Most importantly the way she seemed to look at him, as if he deserved all the greatest things in the world.

He made his way up the stairs to reach her door. He stopped in front of it, suddenly nervous. What if he admitted his feelings but she didn't feel the same? What if he ruins their friendship? He didn't want to think about Diana leaving, just that simple thought made his knees weak.

Shaking his head from those thoughts, he opened the door. Walking inside he noticed that the tv was on, casting a colorful glow around the darken room. He made his way to the couch, trying his best not to make too much noise just in case Diana was asleep.

When he finally reached his destination he noticed that Diana was indeed asleep with none other than Ace sleeping beside her. They both looked so adorable, he couldn't help the flutter in his stomach. Then suddenly he remembered all the times Ace would get on his couch as if he was allowed to do it. "YOU were the one who made Ace think he could get on the sofas!" He almost yelled, making Diana jump awake and Ace to get on the floor.

"Damn, Bruce, way to wake up a lady. I believe Alfred taught you better than that." She said as she rubbed her eyes, glaring at him for waking her up in such a rude manner.

He had the decency to at least look sheepish. "I apologize but Ace has been getting on my sofas thinking that he's allowed." He explained, she nodded. "That makes better sense. You see I'm the fun almost second owner of Ace." She said with a bright smile that Bruce couldn't help but return.

"So, how did your date go?" She moved to the side, giving him space to sit beside her. He did while letting out a long breath. "It actually went great. She was an interesting, different kind of woman." He said, not going any further. Diana looked at him expectantly but he only stared back at her. She smacked his arm, "Ow! Damn, Diana, forgetting your super strength much." He glared but it didn't affect her in the slightest.

"That's it? I'm pretty sure something more had to happen." She continued, ignoring his complaint. "I mean you got back right now at" She looked at the clock, "11:30. Why so soon if it went great?"

This was it, he told himself, this is either the start of something great or the end. He looked into her bright blue eyes, "The reason that it ended so early is because I-I am in love with someone else."

"Oh?"

He took a deep breath, "I'm in love with you, Diana." He confessed, looking away from her and looking at Ace instead. Ace who was currently using his leach as a chew toy. Gentle hands on his face brought his attention back on the beautiful woman who had become the light of his life. She gazed into his eyes for a moment before leaning in and kissing him slowly and lovingly on his lips, he responded by wrapping his arms around her and bringing her closer, deepening the kiss.

Suddenly a slobbery tongue on his cheek caused him to pull away all too soon. "Ace!" He chided as Diana laughed, he looked back at her with a glare. "See this is why I don't let him on the sofa." He grumbled, she shook her head in affectionate resignation before kissing him again.

Soon he forgot all about failed dates and disrespectful dogs as he lost himself in his Princess.