Chapter 10- The Permeable Wall

*Sorry it took so long to update. And another sorry for this chapter being so short. :/ It's the best I could do, for now. I'll try my best to update a longer, better chapter ASAP. Please comment! Thanks!*

_____________________________________________________________________________

The narrow, white hallways whiz past me as Mike and I run towards the rest of my army group. We turn left and are greeted by two peacekeepers that I instantly shoot down. We stop to catch our breath, and then I turn to Mike. “I have a question. Should I trust you? I mean, I just met you, like, ten minutes ago, and now your leading me through these hallways in your grandpa’s headquarters.” I say. He laughs and then says, “Listen, babe-“ “Don’t call me that.” I snap. “Feisty…I like it.” he says with a smirk, “Look, I already told you my back story. I hate my grandpa’s guts, and I will never, ever do anything he tells me to do. Plus, just before I ran into your little army, I was supposed to run an errand for grandpa, but I was just trying to run away again. I’ve tried before, but his stupid security cameras all around the arena catch me every time.” I survey him for a moment before agreeing to follow him again, and we start running.

“Stop!” Mike whispers, as he slows to a halt, “Look.” He points to a small, dark figure in the distance, and as my eyes try to make out who it is, Mike grabs my arm. He drags me to the other side of the hallway, and inches his way towards the figure. As we come closer, I notice a white beard on the figure…Snow. My instincts kick in and I fight my way out of Mike’s grasp, grabbing my gun. As I aim at Snow, Mike steps in front of me. “What are you doing? I thought you hated him!” I yell at him. “Yeah, I do. But that’s not Snow…” he says. I step closer and closer to the man, weapon up, and as I near him, I notice that it is just a small, old man that looks like Snow.

“Who are you?” I ask him. “I’m Nathanial. I am Snow’s assistant. Who are you?” he asks. “No matter.” I say, “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with Snow protecting him?” “Protecting him from what?” he asks. It’s not possible that he doesn’t know yet. There should be security cameras around the building…right? “Grandpa doesn’t like cameras around the building. He thinks it makes him look weak.” Mike says, reading my mind. “No, it makes him look stupid.” I say, “How does he know if someone is invading his building?” “He doesn’t…but his office is somewhere where nobody can find it, unless he has shown them how to get there.” Mike replies. I stare him down and say, “How much do you hate your grandpa?” He smirks and replies, “Enough to show you where his hideout is.”

After tying up Nathanial and shoving him in a closet, we start for Snow’s office. Mike leads me there, confidently. I give him my knife incase we run into any more peacekeepers, and he takes it with great appreciation. Suddenly, Mike stops abruptly, and turns to me. “OK. This is the weird part.” he says. Then, he moves towards a white wall and presses his finger into it three times in a random spot, then he turns to me and says, “Do as I do.” He spreads his hands and legs apart, in the position as if he were to make a snow angel, and then I do the same. Then, he presses his body into the wall and it slides gently through, as if he were something permeable. I shut my eyes tight, and do the same, and as I slide through the wall, someone catches me on the other side. “See, it was cool, right?” Mike says as he steadies me, “Weird, but cool.” “Sure, cool. OK let’s go.” I say.

We continue running, this time through black hallways, and Mike stops me as we near a lighted room. “This is it. He should be in here. Just remember there are peacekeepers in there too.” he whispers. “Are you sure your alright with me just killing your grandpa in front of you?” I ask. “Well, now that I think about it, yes.” he replies. I pat him on the back and we start for the door of the room. I crouch down, ready to attack, and as we open the door, my weapon is kicked out of my hand, and my arms are tied behind my back. “What- what’s going on? Mike?” I yell. I look around the room and notice that Mike is tied up beside me, and when I turn back around, I jump, startled. Snow is right in front of my face, his beady eyes staring at me.

“Well, hello, hello. What do we have here? My little friend has come for a visit.” he says, looking at me, “And Michael. Shame on you. And here I thought you were a loyal grandson. Oh, well. Looks like I’ll have to kill you along with Miss Mockingjay, over here.” He snickers and moves to one of his peacekeepers. “Lock them away, in the same cell that that brat was in before.” he says, gesturing to me. “We will continue tests on you tomorrow morning, as we did before, and until then, get lost.” he says, and with a flick of his wrist, Mike and I are carried away.

One of the peacekeepers pushes Mike and I into the special wall, and we are caught by two peacekeepers on the other side. As we turn left, my face lights up with a smile as my army group greets us, and in the lead is Peeta. They take a quick look at us, and in a second, the peacekeepers are shot down. Peeta rushes towards Mike and I. “Are you two OK? How did they catch you?” he asks us. “Uh, we went after Snow’s headquarters. This is Mike, Snow’s grandson. He’s on our side though. He hates Snow.” I say, in my deepest voice. “Oh, this must be…” Mike says, trailing off as I give him a glare. “Well, you have to show us where the headquarters are again. There are more of us in the group. We can take him for sure.” Peeta says. As Mike and I are untied, a sudden churning in my stomach surfaces, and as if my stomach hated me, I throw up…on Peeta’s boots.

“Are you OK? Were you sick when you came here? Soldier?” Peeta asks me. I dare not look straight at him, wiping my mouth, and I answer, “I’m fine, j-just some nerves, General.” I look up and see his eyes getting wider. “Katniss?!” he yells, “Are you kidding me? Katniss?!”  I look at him with guilt in my eyes, and nod slowly. “Do you know how much danger you are putting yourself into?! You’re pregnant, for God’s sake! And after I told you not to come with me! How could you?!” he yells again. “Peeta,” I say, in my normal voice, “I had to. It didn’t feel right knowing that you were fighting my battle. Besides, I am completely fine.” “Fine? Fine?!” he yells, “If it weren’t for our group saving you, who knows what would have happened to you?!” “I’m sorry.” I say. He looks at me, a million emotions in his eyes, anger being the one that stands out the most, and then he softens. “OK, fine. Stay in the middle of the group. Mike, you lead up here with me. Go.” he says. I give him a quick hug and get in my assigned spot as we head again for Snow’s secret office.

*Comments! :)*