Chapter 6- Separated

*SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO UPLOAD. I TRIED TO MAKE THIS CHAPTER LONGER, BUT I'VE BEEN SO BUSY LATELY. HOPE YOU LIKE IT!*

The second I open my eyes, they are open wide. The scene that has been placed in front of me makes my breathing uneven. Beside me, Peeta is already awake and shivering  in the small, dark room. Our weapons are gone and it is strangely cold. Goosebumps go up my arms as I realize that all around me and Peeta is snow. Great. I move over to him as I put my hands in my pockets. On the wall in front of me is pictures. Pictures of me killing Marvel, Rue and Prim dying, Peeta being close to death as well, and many other disturbing clips from the past years. But the scariest part is…that these pictures are moving. It is as if Snow wants us to vividly remember this so that we will obey him. Like he is trying to…hypnotize us. By showing us the pictures, our emotions start to flow. And of-course, the only person who can take the pictures down is Snow himself. So we would have to obey him to make them go away. He really has all this planned out.

“Peeta…” I say, shivering next to him, “they aren’t real. They’re just pictures.” I think about it and realize that Snow probably designed the pictures so that I had different clips than Peeta. He is putting our weaknesses on a wall. That sick, old man. Peeta doesn’t reply, but just continues to stare at the wall, shivering. After a few minutes of blankly staring at a wall, I hear a strange beeping noise, and the pictures shut off. Peeta finally looks at me, confused. Then, out of one corner of the room, a door opens in comes walking, Layla. “Well…hello, friends.” she says, “I see you have been enjoying the entertainment we provided for you. I know, we are too kind.” Laughing hysterically, she walks back out the door and to replace her, President Snow comes in, smiling. “Good morning.” he says, “I hope you had a good sleep. We have many plans for us today. Don’t worry, they will be fun…for us.” And just like that he snaps his fingers and two peacekeepers come walking in. One takes my hand and one takes Peeta’s. My peacekeeper grabs my wounded arm and I scream with pain. “Hey! Watch it! Got shot there, mister!” I yell at him. He says nothing but just moves his grip to my other arm.

As we make our way through the door, I see Peeta trying to fight his way out of the peacekeepers grip, but he makes no progress. I think about trying to wiggle my way out of the tight hold on my arm, but I am too mentally, and physically, exhausted. Once we walk past the door, all I see are multiple white hallways. The one in front of me is long and narrow, and I see lots of hallways branching off from it. It looks confusing. “Go.” Snow says. He pushes Peeta’s peacekeeper and he stays emotionless. Almost like a robot.We are lead down the narrow hallway, almost to the end, and then we turn right. There is a door at the end of this hallway, and it appears that we will be entering it. I wonder what evil surprises will be waiting for us there. I look back at Peeta and he gives me a worried look. I don’t know if he has a plan on how to escape, but it won’t be a choice for us. We will have to make one sooner or later.

We make our way towards the door, and as it opens the peacekeepers push me and Peeta in, and shut the door. I hear the click of a lock. The room is pitch black and I cannot see Peeta, so I wave my hand around until I hit something. “Ouch!” I hear someone say. Obviously my bread boy. I find his hand and squeeze it tight, preparing myself for whatever horrifying scenes await for us. Suddenly, a spotlight forms in the middle of the room. I shield my eyes while they adjust to the light, and after a while, I see what Snow has prepared for us. There is a small table shining in the light, with a metal cage resting in the middle. That part was fine. But the contents of the cage were the dreadful part. Inside was a jabberjay.

I plug my ears, squeezing them as tight as possible, trying to prevent the noises I knew were about to come out of the jabberjay’s mouth. As I shut my eyes, I feel a tapping on my arm. Peeta, or so I guess, grabs my arm and pulls me towards the table. “No! What are you doing?!” I yell, as I twist my arm out of Peeta’s hand. I plug my ears again and finally see Peeta as he mouths words. I realize that I he is actually speaking and I unplug my ears…temporarily. “Katniss, it hasn’t said anything yet…and I don’t think it will. Look.” he says, and points to the jabberjay. I approach it slowly, looking back at Peeta every once in a while. After a while, I see what Peeta is talking about. Around the jabberjay’s mouth is a rubber band, preventing it from speaking. “So why did Snow put it here if it can’t talk?” I ask Peeta. “You would think I know the answer to every question,” he says, smirking, “but I don’t. Snow is unpredictable.” “Really? That’s news to me!” I say sarcastically. He laughs. It’s good to hear his laugh again, and in response, I smile. Then, I remember where we are and the smile fades. “So…is this it?” Peeta asks.