Chapter Twenty-Four, Lovers at Heart

Chapter Twenty-Four

MAX AWOKE TO the smell of coffee. She went into the bathroom and was surprised to find all of her toiletries laid out in a basket beside the sink. Her shampoo and conditioner were already in the shower. Treat was so thoughtful. She wondered if she’d had an incredible dream, or if last night had really happened.

After she brushed her teeth, she followed a sweet aroma downstairs, where the table was set for two with warm croissants, fresh fruit, and hard-boiled eggs, complete with two different types of jams and butter. In the center of the table sat an enormous vase of pink Knock Out roses. Max’s hand covered her heart. She turned toward Treat and saw another vase on the counter, bursting with her favorite flowers.

“Treat?”

“Good morning, sweetness.” Treat was already showered and dressed.

God, he looked handsome in his jeans and T-shirt, with a thick, comfy cable-knit sweater thrown over his shoulder. She followed the floral aroma into the cozy living room, where an antique metal bucket overflowed with more Knock Out roses. You are the most thoughtful man on earth.

“You did all this?” Max asked as he handed her a deliciously sweet-smelling cup of coffee.

“It wasn’t much, but I figured you’d be hungry. Vicky called. She said that she wanted to make sure you were okay, but I think she really wanted to make sure that I had been nice to you.”

Drawn in by his smile, Max went to him. “Thank you.” She stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. “The roses…they’re gorgeous.”

“They line the curve of the driveway. Fate?” he asked with a shrug.

Fate indeed. She sat at the table, appreciating his generosity and smelling the sweet aroma of the flowers, and then looked out the windows at the bay below. The sky was a powdery blue with no clouds in sight, and Max couldn’t help but feel as though the sky mirrored how she felt, like the fog that had hung over her and Treat had evaporated and all that was left was the beauty between them.

“Thanks for bringing my things in for me,” she said.

“I put your clothes in the dresser drawers.”

“Treat, I’m not moving in.” Why did she feel compelled to define that line?

He sat beside her and kissed her cheek. “Not yet, anyway,” he said. “See? That’s why I didn’t want to get too close last night. Women are fickle,” he teased. She hit him with a napkin.

“If you don’t have plans, I’d really like to show you around.”

“How can we go anywhere with the crowds?” She popped a piece of the croissant into her mouth.

“They’ll all be gone by eleven. In fact, they’ll be gone until next May. The festival is like the last hurrah of the season.”

“What time is it?”

“Ten thirty.”

“Ten thirty? Why didn’t you wake me up?” She covered her face. “I’m so embarrassed.”

He lowered her hand. “You were tired. Besides, part of loving someone unconditionally means letting their body do whatever it needs to do. And your body needed to sleep.”

Max let her mind wander. What would it be like to be married to you? To wake up beside you every morning, and go to sleep in your arms each night. She’d slept better last night than she had any other night that she could remember.

Vicky’s words came tumbling back to her. You just need to find your tiller, Max. And then later, He’s your tiller, Max. Trust me.