Six

Chapter Six - picture of Marcelo

Gemma woke up with butterflies in her stomach the next morning. She rolled over glancing at the digital clock briefly before getting out of bed. Office. Meeting. Marcelo. Date. She shook her head smiling to herself. It was not a date. Business meeting was more like it, and she was quite nervous.

She took her time in the shower pondering over the details she would be relaying to Marcelo. She’s had this idea for a week now, wondering when she would be able to present it to her board and be successful. Now killing two birds with one stone, the suggestion of Marcelo presenting it was an opportunity that came knocking thanks to his friend Emilio.

The stillness and silence of her apartment accompanied her everywhere inside. Gemma was used to waking up to the sound of the TV blaring out the morning news as her father watched in the tiny living room at their old place. The only noises at her new place now were her own footsteps as she ambled towards the kitchen to grab a granola bar and the whirring sound of the AC.

Slipping on her shoes, she opened the door only to be startled to see her new neighbor’s face, Will, with his finger about to press the doorbell.

“Good morning,” he smiled cheekily in his tracksuit.

“Hi Will.” Gemma smiled politely and closed the door behind her. “It’s awfully early in the morning for you to be stopping by.” She didn’t want to make it obvious to him, but his visits this early were a bit too creepy for her liking. Yes, visits, as in multiple times in which he’s done this, either to invite her for breakfast or a walk around Central Park.

He made a motion at his clothes. “I’m going out for a run later. I was hoping if you would want to join me for some coffee. I have no classes or work at all today, so I’m free.” She almost forgot that Will was a medical student working his residency as a doctor at the nearby hospital.

Gemma hated crushing the poor guy’s hopes. “Will-“

He made a hissing sound. “Let me guess. You can’t?”

“Work has just been keeping me busy. I really am sorry.”

Will flashed her a sad smile. “It’s cool. I’ll try again on the weekends.” He winked which made Gemma laugh.

“Sorry once again, but I have to head out.  I have a really important meeting to get to.” With a hot Italian businessman. A small voice in the back of her head reminded her.

“I’ll see you around then?”

She nodded and smiled once more before walking towards the elevator. Once the doors opened to the lobby, she rushed out the doors spotting the car and Samuel, her driver, that chauffeured her wherever she needed to be.

“Good morning, Sam.”

“G’morning to you, Miss Braxton.” Gemma tried, but she couldn’t get him to call her by her first name only.

She looked out the window to the cloudy sky. The rolls of thunder were even more boisterous outside the safety of her bedroom walls. Surely, Will doesn’t plan on running in this weather? She thought to herself with concern towards the man. Once the car came to a stop right in front of the building, Gemma reached the inside of the building just as the fat raindrops started to descend.

Talk about a good start to this day…

Gemma was earlier than usual to arrive. She had set the meeting with Marcelo early, so she could let him in on the idea she had for the presentation. She called for a board meeting at ten that morning and looking down at her watch, she saw she had about an hour to prep Marcelo. However, if he was as good as he said he was, that should be plenty of time. Gemma had no doubt in his skills even if she made it out to be otherwise.