Four

Chapter Four 

By the end of the week, Gemma closed down the bakery she worked hard on. Kale and the rest of the employees were bummed, but this seemed to have affected Kale the most. It was hard for Gemma to say goodbye to the friend she made in the young worker, but she made a promise to herself to help him as soon as she could.

Gemma and her father both settled into the mansion after a few days of getting themselves reacquainted with the place. The two weren’t as comfortable with getting help for every single thing such as cooked  meals, chores, and their own laundry. Gemma explored the giant home she was brought into as a newborn and eventually grew up in. She’s had many parties here every year for her birthday. She was definitely spoiled as a child.

She took over her old room, where thankfully, her old bed and toys stayed even after all these years. Hilda, Francine, and Caroline emptied the entire mansion of its furniture and décor. Everything of any value was gone, even the dishes to which Gemma ordered Martha to order new ones.

Between the two of them, the move to the mansion benefited her father more. The large space made it easier for him to move around and not feel cramped like he was in their old apartment. It also lifted his spirits up a bit at feeling closer to his deceased wife.

It was Sunday, the start of the new week, and Gemma was preparing herself mentally for the week to come. It would be her first full week as the president of the company, and she knew she would be as busy as a bee on the first day. There were so many things her grandfather left behind that needed to be done as soon as possible.

She was relaxing into the new sofa that came in earlier in the day when the doorbell rang. Gemma was getting ready to go up and open the door before the surprised visitor came walking in.

“Leila?” She asked hugging her friend and PA hello. “How’d you get in?”

The young woman looked over her shoulder. “One of your housekeepers let me in.”

Gemma nodded putting on a pleased smile. Right. I keep on forgetting that everything seems to be done for me in the blink of an eye. “Not that I’m not happy to see you, but what’s with the visit?”

The two women walked into the room which used to be a strictly formal living area before Gemma chose laidback furniture and a TV to make the room feel more inviting.

“Well as your personal assistant, it’s my job to make things easier for you.” Leila flipped her long, single braid over one shoulder as she sat down. “The route from here to your office is quite a hassle, especially in the morning traffic.”

Gemma smiled amused. “Want any drinks?”

Leila declined continuing on. “I have an apartment ready for you to stay in. High-rise, penthouse suite, with a large walk-in closet. It’s right in the middle of the city with a view of Central Park. It took me forever to find the perfect one, but I think you’ll really like this. It’s move-in ready complete with furniture and appliances. Although, the paint is a bit of a drab but-”

Leila’s boss looked at her with complete confusion. “An apartment? Leila, I never asked for one! I don’t have money ready. Leila…” She sighed.

“Gemma, the company’s paying for it. Besides, Bart encouraged this move too. It’ll be a whole lot easier traveling back and forth to the office, trust me. Even Mr. Rutherford had his own condo in the city.” Gemma nodded, knowing that very well. That was where they found her grandfather dead on the floor.

“Leila, I appreciate you doing this, I really do. But my father and I just moved in here not even a week ago. We need time to settle in. I can’t just leave my dad.”