Chapter 2

The next morning I woke up to the smell of eggs and bacon. Surprised I got out of bed to investigate. I saw my dad cooking. He usually worked all day and I was left to fend for myself.

“Good morning.” He said with a smile on his face.

“Good morning.”

“Sleep well? Hope so, because we’re going out to laser tag.”

I felt a huge smile widen upon my face. I rarely go laser tagging, and now I’m going with my dad? This day couldn’t get any better.

“Sure, Dad.”

“Well breakfast is ready. Can you get some plates and forks?”

I helped setup breakfast. When I took my first bite of egg and bacon, it felt like I was in heaven. I hadn’t had a nice homemade meal in a long while. While eating my dad and I talked about plans for school. We were on the subject of courses when we were interrupted my the sound of the news station. We turned to see what was happening and what I heard almost frightened me.

“Police say there has been another ‘zombie’ attack here in Tampa, Florida. The two security guards who were bitten in the last attack have gotten the same disease and went on a rampage. They escaped the hospital and are now on the loose. Several victims were bitten at the hospital and are being supervised as we speak. These security guards are quite dangerous and if you see either one of them please call authorities.”

I looked at my dad stunned. We were both speechless and just continued with our breakfast. When we were done we both got ready to go out. We brushed our hair, teeth, and got dressed. I went outside and got in the door as my dad locked up the house. When he got in the car he looked at me and smiled.

“Ready champ?”

“Ready.”

And we drove to the laser tag arena.

On the way back, my dad and I couldn’t stop laughing about our laser tag game. We talked about how we were the champions and how much fun we had. We were having a ball until my dad saw someone standing in the middle of the road.

“What the…”

I looked out the front window and saw a man standing right in front of out car. I couldn’t tell his age, because of the way he looked. He was all bloody and his eyes were completely white. It was as if they had rolled to the back of his head. I tried to get a closer look at his teeth. It looked as though it had ripped something to shreds with only his teeth. I leaned closer, but was startled when my dad honked the horn. The man didn’t even budge. He growled at us. We were both scared. I looked at the man’s clothes which had blood stains on them and saw something that shocked me.

“Dad look at his chest. See the badge?”

My dad leaned in for a closer look and saw it. It was a hospital security badge. It was one of the guards that had gotten loose. My dad took out his cell and dialed 911. I listened to him talk to the operator while I just watched the man outside the car. He didn’t move a muscle. When my dad was off the phone he told me officers were on their way. He was telling me not to panic, but was interrupted by a loud clanging noise. We looked behind us and saw the other security guard banging on the back windows. We both were terrified and screamed. We turned back to the front and saw the other security guard had gotten on the hood of the door and was banging on the windshield leaving behind tiny cracks. We moved to the middle area of my dads white van.

“Son it’s going to be ok. The police will be here soon.”

As soon as he said it we could hear police sirens in the distance. We looked out the windows and saw police lights flashing. Finally they arrived and got out of their cars with guns pointed at our attackers.

“Freeze! Don’t move.” Yelled one of the officers.

The ‘zombie’ security guards didn’t seem to notice the officers until one of them shot the guard who was on our hood. The officer shot him right in the chest. You’d think he’s fall over dead, but instead he just looked at the officer and growled. He then got off our car and started walking to the policeman. The police aimed their guns and fired at the ‘zombies’ heads. The two security guards dropped to the ground. The officers came to the back of the van doors and opened it for us to get out. We stepped out of the van and saw the two dead bodies. I felt a tear come down my cheek. I was relieved it was over but I felt sad that these two men died the way they did. We were then questioned by the police. They asked us about what had happened. We finally got done with the police and were even escorted home in case anything else happened. When we finally reached our house it was twelve in the morning. We thanked the police and walked inside silently. We both didn’t say a word. As we shut the door my dad let out a long sigh. We looked at each other frowning. We had no idea that this was just the beginning.