Chapter 1

“Matt! Wake up!” I woke up to my Dad shaking me to get out of bed. I looked at the clock and saw it was only six in the morning. “Dad, it’s six. Why do I have to get up now? Summer vacation is meant for sleeping in.” “I know. I just want to let you know I’ll be home late. There’s some leftover pizza in the fridge. You can have that for dinner.” “Ok Dad.” As he walked back out of my room I slowly closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep.

I woke up again around ten. I hoped out of bed and made some breakfast. The only thing edible I could find was some Trix cereal. I poured a bowl and dug right in. I finished breakfast and was about to take a shower when I heard the news. “Witnesses say they witnessed what seemed to be a “zombie” roaming the streets.” I walked to the living room curious to hear what was happening. “Witnesses called police when they saw the man ripping another man’s face off with his own teeth. Police arrived and told the suspect to step away from the victim. The police told us that instead of backing away the man looked up and growled at them. The officer had no other choice, but to shoot the man. He shot him several times in the chest, but had no effect. The suspect kept attacking the victim. Finally the officer shot him three times in the head and he died. The ambulance came and took the victim to the Tampa Florida hospital. Doctors say the victim is in critical condition, but it looks as if he will make it. As for the attacker, autopsy specialists will conduct an autopsy to look for any signs of drugs. On to other news…” I turned off the TV and was thinking about how a man could do such a thing. He must have been high, I thought. I went to the bathroom and took a quick shower. When I was done drying off and getting dressed I heard a knock on the door. I opened it and saw my friends Jimmy and Anthony standing there. “Did you hear?” said Jimmy. “Hear what?” I replied. “About the Florida ‘zombie!’ It’s crazy! I thought they were just myths and in video games!” said Anthony. “Oh yeah I just heard about that. Do you think he was high?” I asked. “Probably.” I heard Anthony say. “All this ‘zombie’ talk is making me want to play some Black Opps. Who’s in?” We all agreed and went to my room to play. After several hours of playing Xbox, I looked at the clock. It was already seven at night. My Dad said he’d be back late which probably meant ten. “Either of ya’ll want some pizza?” I asked Jimmy and Anthony. They were too into the game to even hear what I was saying. “Never mind then.” I walked to kitchen and opened up the fridge. I took the pizza box and placed it on the counter and opened it to see two pieces of pizza. I heated them and took them back to my room. I walked back in and saw Jimmy had changed the channel to the news. “What’s going o..” Before I could finish Anthony shushed me. I sat quietly and watched the news with my friends. “Another shocking ‘zombie attack’ took place today inside a Tampa Florida hospital. The victim who was practically eaten by another man attacked a nurse and began to eat her. Security tried to protect the woman and in the process both men were bit by the man. The man, named Joe Bleu, acted the same way his attacker did. Instead of backing away he growled at those who came close to him. The security guards finally shot the man in the head and he died. The guards are now being cared for by the nurse and doctors there at the hospital.” Anthony, Jimmy, and I all looked at each other. We read millions of stuff on zombies and watch millions of zombie movies and games. “Do you think its true? Do you think they’re actually turning into real zombies?” Jimmy and I looked at Anthony, not sure what was going on. We tried to shake it off. “Maybe it’s just some disease that’s really contagious. I’m sure the doctors have some kind of cure for it.” I told him. “Well it’s getting late. I’m going to head home now. See ya Matt.” Said Jimmy with a yawn. “Yeah me too. See ya.” I watched Jimmy and Anthony leave and went back to my room. It was nine thirty. I had thirty minutes to myself. I decided to go online and play some minecraft. After playing for a while I heard my front door open. It was my Dad. “Hey son. You been on the computer all this time?” “No. Jimmy and Anthony came over and we played Xbox and saw the craziest thing on the news.” I told my Dad about the “zombies” and he just started to laugh. “The news isn’t always right. They just want people to watch their channel. Now off the computer and get in bed. I’m off tomorrow so I thought maybe we could do something fun. I have a business trip the day after. I’ll be gone for a couple days.” Knowing my Dad he rarely spent time with me. I was kind of in shock. He usually worked non stop and I never spent time with him except here at home. “Sure.” I replied. He walked out of my room and closed the door. I got some comfy pants on and took of my shirt and hopped into bed. Usually I stayed up all night, but I was so excited to hang out with my Dad tomorrow. I even forgot about the whole zombie thing.