Chapter Twenty Five

Word Count : 1531

~Brielle

Ren came back right in front of me.

My shoulders slump as I realise my one chance to get to Chase is gone. He managed to trick me, and with his last words, have left me dumbfounded. He has a motive for suddenly appearing so often, and now I'm going to lose sleep over it. That's what he wanted, of course. He's the cunning version of Ren.

Ren blinks a few times, the colour seeping out of his blue eye into the green. He's back, and there's no hope Chase is going to come out to play again. Not when he knows what I want with him.

Immediately Ren looks over me for any injuries. Naturally he sees nothing but my bothered expression.

That did not go how I planned.

"Is everything okay?" Ren asks, looking over me for any hints Chase attacked me. He won't find anything, considering Chase wasn't aggressive in the slightest, like I assumed he would. He was calm and calculated, knowing how to get into my head without revealing anything about himself.

"I'm fine. He didn't reveal anything about why he has been appearing recently, but he did hint it was because of me," I explain, leaning back into the couch in exhaustion. "He was smart. And that only makes me want to know what's going on inside his head more."

Ren sighs deeply. "I figured that would be the case. He's not going to help you unless it benefits him. He's a selfish soul."

I flop back against the couch. This isn't good.

"How long has Chase been inside your head?" I question, wanting as much information on it as possible. "I mean, how did it even happen? I've never heard of anyone having another personality that appears at night as another person with different traits."

"It's a long story. Half of it I don't even fully understand. All I know was I was a child on a business trip with my father, I wandered off and...well I can't really remember anything after that. Chase will know, but he wouldn't tell anyone. Especially not after what you've said about him. But ever since that day he's been a part of me," Ren tells me solemnly.

Another thing I want to know from Chase. He's going to have a lot against me which will not help my case.

Great.

Ren and I don't speak much about it after that. He was exhausted after his body went through that change so he went to his room to sleep. I was grateful for some time to think once I went to bed, but no matter how much I look back on the conversation with Chase, I can't gather anything on it.

The next morning we headed back to the port. Knowing my families commute goes past the port every morning, I was hoping I wouldn't see them. Lucky for me, I didn't. I don't care what they are doing. I never want to speak to them again.

I'm anxious to get back onto the island after we have been out for two days. I need to ensure there are new rules to save the girls from Chase.

Who knows what his next move is.

Once we returned, Ren had paperwork to attend to after leaving the island. The landscapers had arrived, so after readying myself for work, I decide to go out there to make sure everything was going according to plan.

It was a group of four men. I'm not sure what Ren is wanting them to do, but their equipment is out and look ready to start. I heard whispers from a few of the girls on the way out that there was a few attractive guys in the group, which isn't good. I can already tell they are going to get distracted.

One of them turns around, looking at me with a loose smile. "I would stand back if you're going to watch. We are starting soon."

"I'm Ren's assistant," I tell him.