Chapter Thirty Two

Word Count: 1584

~Brielle

I don't know how I'm going to get anything out of him.

Chase stands when he realises I'm struck speechless from his words. He walks across the sand, looking up at the ceiling of the small cove. I watch him, unsure of what to say to him. If he is going to mess with me, how am I going to get him out of Ren's head? I struggle to consider that in the moment, however, I try not to let him win already.

"I know where you came from, I know you're just a demon inside his head that is worth nothing outside that body," I tell him firmly. Chase turns and looks at me, confused expression on his face, as if he can't quite believe I said those words to him.

"Well that's not very nice of you, is it?" Chase says slowly. I can't tell if he is offended of not. He doesn't like to give anything away.

I don't like that.

Chase strides across the sand back toward the shore line. From here, I can secretly see why all the girls were so excited to swim with him, and why they were all blushing and whispering with each other at the sight of their shirtless Alpha. He is elegantly built, with those broad shoulders and toned torso.

Of course, I don't mention that to him. Instead I watch him walk a few steps back into the water, which almost seems a darker green colour than it was around the other side of the coast where the girls still swim happily.

"Why don't you come out and swim with me a little bit, then we can talk," Chase offers, walking backwards into the lake, smiling at me tauntingly.

I'm reluctant, but I doubt I have another choice.

It seems when I touch the water with my shoes, it's much colder. My entire body shivers as I look out at Chase, who has waded out to his hips. He doesn't seem so bothered grinning at me warmly, an invite. I doubt it's a kind invite, or one that I want to take. Who knows what his plans are beyond the surface of the water.

"Come in, the waters nice," he taunts, swimming even further out. I mutter profanities under my breath, but regardless, I wade in also, wishing the water was actually nice, and not ice cold and bitter.

"The water is not nice," I snap, as I finally reach him, the water reaching up past my breasts. My feet only just touch the sand on the bottom.

This is not ideal.

Chase swims around me, finding no issue with this temperature. The way the water pushes against me makes me nervous. I'm not sure why I'm so nervous sitting in the water. Maybe he has something to do with the fact Chase is swimming around me. He holds his hand out to me as if to help me deeper, but I flinch.

"Why are you scared? If I wanted to kill you, I would dragged you under the surface by now," he says smoothly, as if that is meant to make me feel better. My feet come off the bottom as I try to keep myself afloat.

"I have no reason to trust you, and you know that," I mutter, my body heating up now that I'm swimming properly now.

I still don't let my guard down, though.

As Chase circles me, I consider what I could say to convince him to give me information about himself. I need to get into his head as much as he gets into mine. However, how is that possible when I can hardly understand what his motive is? He is waiting for something. He is waiting for me to slip up.

"Do you like this body? More importantly, do you like Ren?" Chase questions, a smile on his face so teasing, I consider how to answer. I hate how his answers make me want to blush. It's not fair.