Chapter 6

"Why the fuck are you here, Will?"

It's been years, but he's hardly changed from when we were both 15 and I saw him for the last time. In a way, that's almost another reason to be mad at him; I've had to make myself into an entirely new person, but he got to stay they same, young, beautiful, it's like a picture of the past. I hate him.

"I know when you moved back to New York that we agreed to leave you and your family alone-"

"Then why are you here, waiting for me, at an apartment that isn't mine," I cut him off. "How long have you been following me?"

"I've been around town for almost a week, trying to find a way to approach you."

"A week?" I almost shout at him. "For fuck's sake, you've been trailing me for a week. God damnit. What is it you people want now?"

"Again, I never would have contacted you if this wasn't extremely important."

"And what is it Will," I snap at him, "what exactly is so important that you were willing to wait at night in this neighborhood just to find me?"

"Luke, your family's in danger."

My family? "What the fuck?" I grab him by the shirt and slam him into the wall. "Why the hell would anyone be after my family?"

"We found some spies a few weeks ago, and they finally let it slip that something big is happening. We didn't know what it was then, but it included taking you and your family out."

I let him go and he slides to the ground. "What do you mean spies, there was never any espionage when I was there. What the fuck is going on Will? And why, if you knew about an assassin, did Chiron not send anyone to deal with it? I told him that I wanted out, and he agreed that the camp would take care of anything. What's fucking changed?"

"Luke, you don't get it,"  the smaller man says, tears welling in his eyes. "Everything's changed, and we need to get to you family because they're in grave danger."

"But Chiron said..."

"I know what he said, but none of that matters anymore. The camp's destroyed. Chiron's been captured."

"That's impossible, this can't be true. Who's responsible for this?"

"Annabeth's back."