Stuck On You

A continuous line of people flow from the terminal and into the airport. The space just outside the passage leading from the plane is flooded with waiting family and friends of the huge flight’s passengers. Kelly’s strong grip drags me through the crowd and to the front so that we can see all the departing travellers clearly. We wait for about forty minutes before Matt comes through. After half an hour, I get tired and still with a mild headache from this morning’s hangover, I sit on a nearby bench. You'd think after a hot, rose scented bath and I nice nap, I would feel myself again.

'Maybe it's the cancer' an unwanted thought drift to mind. But I try not to dwell on it. When I imagine the cancer taking effect it scares me, haunts me at night and during the day. I watch as Kelly looks around excitedly for Matt and the mass of people thins out. I bite my lip nervously and try to push a growing number of unanswered questions to the back of my mind.

What if he’s changed? Have I changed? Will he look different? How can I tell him I have cancer? What if he can’t remember me? Don’t be stupid, it’s only been a year and a half. A year! So much can happening a year. Why did I agree to pick Matt up from the airport? I wish I were at home. I wish I were in bed.

My thoughts are interrupted by a squeal from Kelly. My eyes flick up to her, running to where a tall, dark haired, blue eyed boy stands, his eyes scanning the crowds before he spots his eccentric sister. I watch Matt throw down his light, carry-on sports bag and fling his arms around Kelly’s slender form.

I rise from my seat and slowly make my way towards the family reunion. It’s now or never. Matt releases Kelly from his arms and she looks around for me. Matt’s eyes follow hers until they land on me. For a second I wonder if Kelly told him I was coming, but then the thought slips from my mind as I become lost in deep blue eyes, staring at me from a few meters away. My feet move mindlessly, on their own accord, towards the siblings.

“Um, hi.” Matt mumbles to me, his intense glaze not leaving mine. I blink a couple times. Say something. Say something. I scowled myself, but I cannot conjure any words. I want to look to Kelly for guidance, but that would involve dragging my eyes away from Matt.

“Uhh…” I drag on. “Hi....I've missed you.” I blurt out. He steps forward and envelopes me in his strong arms. Leaning in close to my ear Matt whispers, “I missed you too.” Barely audible.

Then he pulls away and ruffles my loose hair.

“You haven’t changed.” I scoff and roll my eyes.

“I’d say the same thing about you, but…” he stares at me again.

“What are you talking about? I haven’t changed.” I protest. Kelly raises an eyebrow. Okay, so maybe my situation’s changed. I didn’t have cancer a year ago. But, I’m still Daisy. Still life guarding, for now. And I'm till the skinny beach girl with the salt water bleached blonde curls.

“You look different.” States Matt. “Grown up.”

“I’m nearly nineteen.” I argue. Why shouldn’t I look grown up? He shrugs his shoulders. “Let’s go, I’m seriously jet lagged.”

And I’m seriously still a little hung over; nausea and not walking straight. Home (or at least Kelly’s apartment for now) sounds good to me. Kelly approves too, so we walk through to the where the luggage is circling around on a conveyor belt.

“So, how was Europe?” Kelly asks from her small apartment kitchen as she pours three very strong black coffees. Matt looks up from his spot slouched over the red comforter and directs to eyes to his sister.

“Incredible.” He states simply. Kelly laughs lightly and steps into the living room with three mugs and a plate of short bread biscuits on a wooden tray.