Hold a hand for cover

When I wake, just for a second, I am at peace. And then I remember. I’m dying. I find Mum asleep in the spare room and last night’s dinner in the fridge. I don’t microwave it before eating. Not because I’m lazy but because I’ve never eating cold pasta before and I have decided I’m going to try new things.

I tell Kelly I’m coming over and leave a note for Mum. If there is one person that will help me fulfill a list of crazy things I’ve never done before with no questions asked, it’s Kelly.

I stand at Kelly’s apartment door and wait for her to open it. Footsteps echo though her hallway and the door swings open.

“Hey Daisy…” she starts but I’ve broken down into tears. She ushers me inside and pulls me into a hug. Kelly is abiding the unsaid best friend rule: Comfort first, ask later. And for that I’m grateful.

“Ice cream Sundae?” she asks and I laugh. Back when we were in high school Kelly and I used to eat the unhealthiest ice cream desserts we could make whenever one of us was upset. We’d add lollies, chocolate, fudge sauce, nuts, berries, broken up waffle cones and whatever else we could scab from our kitchens.

You’d imagine that we would have gotten quite fat with all the crying we did but we always made sure we worked the ice cream and anything else on our minds off at the gym.

With Kelly the tears usually came with the loss of a boyfriend or some bitchy school girl spreading rumours about her or her parent’s yelling because got a D on her economics assignment. With me it was because I didn’t make the Lacrosse team or because Sally Michaels beat me in state butterfly or because Jason Huges threw the hand made Valentines card I made him in the bin.

Kelly walks out from the kitchen and hands me a bowl. My eyes widen. Cookie dough ice cream, gummy bears, marshmallows, butter scotch sauce, raspberries and a handful of smarties on top. I’m about to enter heaven.

“Thanks.” I mumble to her.

She tugs me towards the couch. “Come on. I’ve got a box of depressing romance films I haven’t watch since tenth grade and they’ve got your name written all over them.”

This causes me to smile. “I miss soppy romance movies.”

“No Jack!” I cry out. “You can fit on there too. If you stay in the water you’ll die.” Tears well in my already puffy eyes.

“Don’t die.” I whisper. “Don’t die Jack.”

A piece of pop corn appears out of nowhere and hits me square in the forehead.

“Shut up Daisy.” Says Kelly. “He can’t hear you. Your wrecking the drama”

“Drama! Jack’s dying. Are you heartless?”

I take a handful of popcorn from the packet, aim and launch at her. “He’s gonna die no matter what you do.” She continues through a storm of flying corn. “He’s dead. Look.“ I drop the popcorn from my fist and it tumbles to the floor. My eyes flick to the screen.

Rose lets go of Jack’s frozen hand and he sinks in the Antarctic ocean. Another wave of tears over whelms me and I bury my head into a cushion as the Titanic theme song plays on.

I sit back up when the movie stops. “Which one next?”

“Um, Daisy. I think there’s something you haven’t told me yet.”

“Is there?” I say glancing around questioningly.

Kelly stands up and towers over me. “I didn’t sit through three films, two packets of popcorn and a huge tub of ice cream for nothing. Why were you crying?” she demands.

I pull her back down on the couch and look her in the eyes.

“I’ve got lung cancer.”

“You’re joking right?”

I shake my head all the while not drawing my eyes away from her.

“..H..how b..bad..?” she chokes out.

“I have two months to live.” It sounds even worse when I say it out loud. Like the whole thing can no longer be avoided. Before, in my head, these were just words. Kelly’s reaction, her voice, watering eyes. This is what makes my death sentence so real.

Before I know it Kelly has thrown herself at me. Her puffy, red eyes leaving water marks on my shoulder. I can’t cry. Three depressing movies have already drained my tears.

“Stop it.” I scowled Kelly. “You can’t be upset.”

“Why not.” She sobs.

“It’s my catastrophe. You have to me the strong one.”

And it was true. Another unsaid rule we had all through school. If one of us was sad, the other was dubbed comforter.

“Besides.” I continue. “You’ll have plenty of time to cry when I’m gone. Right now, I need you to help me.”

She sits up and wipes her face. “All better?” I chuckle.

Kelly sighs and asks what I want her help for.

“I have this list, in my head. Things I’ve never done before and stuff I wanna try.”

“Like a bucket list?” Interrupts Kelly.

“I guess you could call-“

“What’s first?” she runs over to her desk and whips up a pen and some floral paper. I roll my eyes.

“I wanna go out. And party. A real party at night.”

She nods and jots it down.

“What will you wear?” she asks and looks me up and down.

“Uh…”

“Shopping!” she squeals. “We’ll go straight away. I’m paying.”

“No. I will. Might as well spend my money while I can.”

“Okay she shrugs as she dashes of to grab a jacket and some boots. I walk into the bathroom and clean up my appearance. I leave only when my hair is isn’t sticking up in all directions and my eyes are clear of red marks. Kelly is already at the door. Keen to do the thing she does best. Spend money.

Hey everyone. This story is now in the Watty Awards so vote, comment and show your support. I hope you guys are enjoying this story. Thanks guys :D Song of the chapter is 'Fader' by the Temper Trap. Personally I love this song and I chose it becasue in this chapter Daisy is reaching out to Kelly for support . To the side -----> is the outfit Kelly will be wearing for the next few chapters. Daisy's dress will be up next chapter :)

-From Ella x