epilogue

Five months later

Fire Lord Zuko sat at his desk, pouring over some documents brought in from Ba Sing Se. He was halfway through a letter from the head of the Dai Li when a soft knock resounded from his door.

"Come in," he called, not bothering to look up.

The door opened slowly, and someone stepped in, their footsteps barely audible. Zuko glanced up and felt his heart skip a beat.

Nava stood in the threshold, hands clasped in front of her and a nervous smile on her face. A red tattoo stood out against her brown skin.

"Nava!" Zuko exclaimed, throwing the letter down and circling his desk.

He held his arms out as she hurried across the room and all but jumped into his embrace. He inhaled deeply, breathing in the familiar scent of the outdoors and faint campfire smoke. He wanted to hold her forever.

"I missed you so much," Nava said into his shoulder.

Zuko didn't answer, he just held her tighter against him.

Eventually they released each other and held the other at arm's length.

He nodded at her tattoo. "I see you've become a fully-recognized Yuyan agent," he said.

"That I have. It is my honour to return as your royal bodyguard, Fire Lord Zuko. I trust the person I left in my stead did okay?"

"Ty Lee has definitely grown from the pawn Azula trained her to be. You chose well."

Nava smiled and Zuko brought his left hand up to cup her cheek. His thumb ran over her cheekbone, over the wound from ages ago that had healed, but still seemed painful to look at.

Then he kissed her, slow and deep, like he had been wanting for months. She leant into his touch and they broke apart a few seconds later.

"Welcome home," Zuko breathed.

(a/n: thank you for reading!! <3)