iv

Following the incident with June the bounty hunter and her shirshu – an adventure that Nava had unfortunately missed due to a nasty cold that left her bedridden for nearly four days – Zuko and his crew had gone quite a ways north. Nava was sitting on deck with the other men, minus Zuko, enjoying the music night Iroh had insisted on.

Lieutenant Jee plucked some sort of stringed instrument while Iroh loudly sang a ballad. Two other crew members slow-danced to the beat, their cheeks pink from drink.

Their music was interrupted by none other than Admiral Zhao and a group of masked soldiers. Nava's stomach dropped, and she surged to her feet, getting away as quickly as she could. She took the stairs up to Zuko's cabin two at a time and knocked frantically on his door. The Prince opened it with a scowl.

"I already told Uncle I don't want to join in on music night."

"Zhao's here," Nava said breathlessly. "I don't know why, but he's brought a crew of soldiers with him. I don't think it has anything to do with me but if he's come to see you personally, it can't be good."

Zuko was about to speak, but he promptly shut his mouth when they heard the unmistakable drawl of Zhao's voice and Iroh's hearty laugh from down the hall.

"Get in here and hide behind the door," he hissed and grabbed her roughly by the wrist to pull her into his room.

Nava stood behind the door, pressed against the wall as she held her breath. She could hear Zhao and Iroh's footsteps approach.

"Uncle, what is it? I heard voices." Zuko asked.

"There's a bit of a problem with our plans..." Iroh said slowly.

"I'm taking your crew," Zhao cut in. His voice made Nava's skin crawl. She clenched her jaw and fought the urge to jump out and wail on him with her fists.

"You're what?" Zuko demanded.

"I've recruited them for a little expedition to the North Pole."

"Uncle, is this true?"

"I'm afraid so. He's taking everyone," Iroh said sullenly. "Even the cook!"

"Sorry you won't be there to see me capture the Avatar, but I can't have you getting in my way again."

Zuko made a noise of frustration and there was some commotion. However, Zhao stepped around the boy and entered the room. He walked to the back wall and inspected a pair of broadswords that hanged on some hooks. From her vantage point, Nava could see as his face contorted in rage; she pursed her lips and pressed herself closer to the wall.

"I didn't know you used broadswords, Prince Zuko," the Admiral said evenly. He took one of the swords off the wall and inspected it.

"I'm not. They're antiques – just decorative," Zuko answered coldly.

"General Iroh, have you heard of the Blue Spirit?" Zhao went on.

"Only rumours. I don't believe he is real," Iroh said.

"Oh, he's real alright. He's a criminal and an enemy to the Fire Nation," he put the sword back onto its hook. He turned around, eyes skirting over Nava's hiding spot. Her heart stuttered but he didn't appear to see her. He went back to the doorway and stopped a few inches in front of Zuko. "But I have a feeling justice will catch up with him soon. General Iroh, the offer to join my mission still stands if you change your mind."

With that, Iroh escorted Zhao back down the hallway and onto the main deck.

Zuko slammed his door and swore under his breath. Nava stepped away from the wall and he looked at her like he was seeing her for the first time. "You need to follow him," he said suddenly. "Find out what he's planning so we can put a stop to it. I can't let him get to the Avatar before me."