Fondue

Captain America: The First Avenger - Chapter Six: "Fondue"

DIANA, STEVE AND HOWARD were all sitting in the plane piloted by Stark himself

DIANA, STEVE AND HOWARD were all sitting in the plane piloted by Stark himself. Peggy had stayed back at the lab and was attempting to distract the others while this plan was put in motion. Captain America and Wonder Woman were not leaving empty-handed.

"The HYDRA camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind." Diana explained as she quickly wiped her shield clean. Steve, adjacent to her, mimicked her actions and wiped down his own shield. He had no need to, but he needed something to distract him from his nerves.

"We should be able to drop you two right on the doorstep." Howard said as Diana hooked her shield on her back.

"Just get us as close as you can." Steve said to Howard. Diana kept her head down, fiddling with her hands as the men spoke.

"You know, you are gonna be in a lot of trouble at the lab." Steve said referring to Diana, Howard and Peggy. They would all be severely punished for this.

The Lieutenant Colonel laughed softly, glancing up from her hands.

"Like you won't Steven?"

Steve smiled softly as she called him 'Steven'.

"Where I'm goin', if anybody yells at me, I can just shoot 'em." He said simply with a curt nod.

"I'd like to see the Colonel try and fire me." Diana smirked, as she knew he wouldn't last without her.

"You'd probably knock him off his feet." Howard laughed from the pilot seat.

"He'd be too scared to try."

"Hey, Princess." Howard piped up after a moment of silence. "If we're not in too much of a hurry I thought we could stop off in Lucerne for a late night fondue." He suggested flirting with her. He had always been like this, and although he knew she had eyes for Steve, he continued with the comments none the less.

Diana rolled her eyes, scoffing and turned to Steve as they got ready to jump.

"Ignore him, Steve. Stark has a knack for not thinking before he speaks." Diana explained to Steve, thinking back to the numerous times Howard had made similar comments. She cared for Howard like a good friend, so she didn't mind, but she does admit if it were anyone else, that behaviour wouldn't pass.

"So are you two...? Do you...? Fondue?" Steve asked, trying to refrain from scratching his neck awkwardly.

Diana gave Steve the "Are you kidding me?" Look.

"I'm not like that." She said simply, then continued to talk.

"This is the transponder." She pulled out a small device and handed it to Steve. "You hold onto it, and when you're ready, activate it, and the signal will lead Howard straight to us."

Steve nodded, pocketing the device. "Are you sure this thing works?"

"It's been tested more than you, pal." Howard chimed in, making a joke.

As more explosions occurred outside, Steve got up and headed towards the exit of the plane.

"Get back here!" Howard yelled as he turned and saw Steve about to jump.

"We're being taken all the way in." Diana yelled at Steve over the loud noise.

"As soon as I'm free, you turn this thing around and get the hell outta here!" Steve yelled at Howard.

"You, we're jumping now." Steve said with wide eyes to Diana.

"You can't give me orders!" She argued.

"The hell I can't! I'm a Captain!" Steve then jumped out the plane, causing Diana to let out an excited laugh as she felt exhilarated. War might've been nothing to hope for, but she loved the battle. It was her calling.

"Diana! Wait until we are at the front!" Howard yelled over the noise.

Diana turned around and made eye contact with him. She gave him a quick tight-lipped smile before jumping out the plane and following Steve.