Saving Stephenie - Chapter 1

Chapter 1 

I was perched on the window sill, my favorite spot, watching the snow drift towards the ground. This seat would be the only thing I'd really miss from this town or this house. I always sat here when things got rough, or when I just wanted to be alone. The sill was big enough that I could squeeze myself onto it and sit comfortably. I sighed and climbed over the stair railing to get off the window sill. I had said my goodbyes to my room and my window seat already. Now I needed to go say goodbye to my school and all my friends who inhabited it. 

I ran up the stairs back towards my room to grab my backpack and combat boots. On my way back to the stairs, I passed Cam's room. I stopped for a split second and let a small smile come to my face. I half-expected my older brother to come stumbling out and push me to the side on his way to the bathroom but the door remained shut and I continued my way downstairs - my smile gone. 

"Good morning, are you ready for your last day at Grafton Senior High?" My mother asked as I sat at the little breakfast bar stuffing a muffin into my mouth. There were cardboard boxes stacked everywhere. Every single part of this house looked so bare without all our decorations and most of our furniture was gone as well. 

"Definitely," I said. "When are we leaving?" 

"Well, all of today, your father and I will be packing up everything that's left into the moving vans and when you get home from school, then we'll make sure we have everything and set off," she answered all business like and I suppressed a laugh. My mother was not the most organized person, she was mostly clueless, and so when it came to a schedule like this it was super odd to see her acting like she knew what she was doing. 

"Have a good day," she smiled and I rolled my eyes and went outside to wait for Teresa. 

The snow was probably settling itself nicely in my naturally blonde hair making it wet so it will return to its naturally crazy curly nature. I should have just left my hair curly today, because now it was going to get all frizzy. I pulled my coat tighter around my body as I waited for Teresa's blue Toyota to pull up like every other morning. 

She was a bit late, which was fine with me but weird for Teresa's character. She was the good girl who was never late, and cared about grades and what people thought. She was the nicest person you could ever meet, whereas, I was the rude, loud mouth bitch who didn't care about anything. I hadn't always been this way but people change.  

"This is so depressing, Stephenie!" She said as I got in the car. "This is the last time I'll get to drive you to school! I can't believe my best friend is moving. What am I supposed to do?" 

Teresa was wearing skinny jeans and a girly pink top that suited her personality just fine. Her ballet flats were very cute I had to admit even if they weren't my style. She had her long light brown hair in a pony tail and only a bit of make-up on. As usual she looked stunning, the classic pretty girl. I looked down at my black leggings, combat boots, and plaid three quartered sleeved dress. I was dressed pretty nice for me. I had applied a lot of black mascara and eyeliner on my light brown eyes and straightened my shoulder length blonde hair. I had side bangs that reached just below my eye and they were flipped to the left side. 

"You look very cute," she commented as we kept driving. I realized I hadn't replied to her exclamation earlier. 

"I decided that I should dress up a bit, I don't know though. This dress is super annoying," I said frowning as I tried to pull it down. "Teresa I'm going to miss you so much." 

She smiled at me before turning back to the road. "I know. It sucks you have to move." 

"I agree," I lied. I would miss Teresa and my few other friends terribly, but I was as close to happy as I could be about moving. It sounded strange to me, any other teenage girl would throw a hissy fit and be all nervous but I found some relief in knowing I was getting away from this town.