Saving Stephenie - Chapter 17

Chapter 17

                After a very near tearful goodbye at Teresa’s, I was driving us trying to find Logan’s place. Of course, we had gotten lost and were currently pulled over on the side of the road trying to figure out where we were going now. And arguing about it – stupid Derek.

                “It’s this way! Can’t you just let me drive!” Derek shouted at me, frustrated.

                “I know this area way better than you! I know what way to go, stop yelling!” I screamed back equally as frustrated.

                I put the car back into drive and continued driving on the highway fairly certain I knew where I was going. I had gone to a couple parties in the town where Logan lived – but I was always either drunk or it was too dark for me to care. I recognized some things – but it was still very confusing. Now, however, I knew where to go, but Derek insisted that I was out of my mind and going the wrong way as if he would know and as if I would admit he was right at the beginning of the ride.

                “You’re impossible,” Derek scoffed.

                “No, I’m just right,” I smirked.

                “Look, this is the exit. I know what I’m doing, you just need to keep calm,” I said proving my point and he crossed his arms stubbornly. “Stop pouting.”

                “I hate you,” he said like a four year old boy. “And I’m not pouting.”

                “You’re such a baby,” I said.

                “Says Stephenie, the one who’s been crying like a baby ever since that stupid dance,” he scowled. There was no crossing the line with him – he did whatever he wanted and said whatever he wanted and there was no filter. No place where he thought that maybe he shouldn’t say something for fear of the other person’s feelings. It was refreshing, and it was one of the things I liked most about Derek – he didn’t pity me for crying he held me accountable. He didn’t skirt around the subjects, he addressed them directly. He was blunt.

                “So what exactly are you going to ask this dude?” Derek asked as I glanced at the directions now that I was actually in the town.

                I glared at him. “Logan’s not just some dude, he’s one of the most important people in my life, or was at least.”

                “Which explains why you don’t even know where he lives.”

                “We lost touch after Cam died, can you see how it would be hard for us to be together and stay friends when the only reason we knew each other was because of Cam? It wasn’t the best when all you could talk about was the things you did and they all involved Cam. We drifted, but he was still always there for me just like Cam,” I protested.

                “Okay, so what are you going to ask the all powerful Logan? What did that letter even say?” Derek pushed and I gritted my teeth.

                “I’m going to ask him if he knew anything about it,” I said not letting on too much more at the time.

                “That’s it,” Derek deadpanned. “A phone call wouldn’t suffice?”

                “Stop complaining, you whiny brat,” I sighed. “Now stop talking, we’re here.”

                We pulled into an apartment complex – it didn’t look too nice and the white paint was yellowing on the side of the building. The lines in the parking lot were fading – you could barely make out the space numbers. I parked and looked again at the slip of paper Teresa had given me.